Where to start

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Jordysmash, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    EW Wylie will train you for flatbed as long as you have at least 6 months OTR

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Zeviander, cke and SavageMuffin Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I met a guy other day when loading steel, said jordan gave him a 5k sign on bonus for flat division because of one year van experience, and sent him to securement training. He was very happy and said there was a lot of recurrent bonuses for certain goals.

5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    If you are looking for $75k a year with flatbed you'll probably need more experience. From what I've seen of company driver rates people talk about in the US, you'll need to run OTR to get that kind of money with your level of experience (unless you hit the jackpot with a local hourly gig).

But I wouldn't go into it thinking all about the money. Get the experience under your belt and then pick and choose your top place to work.

Flat deck is a very rewarding line of work if you've got the motivation to work physically and the patience to learn. I greatly enjoyed my time doing it, but the physical nature of the job for less than adequate pay really turned me off it.

6. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Pre-loaded/-tarped trailers? Roll-tites?

7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I could see the roll-tote angle but I’ve never seen a preload pre tarpped that I could hook to and to. And I still have to roll them up on the other end.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  8. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    My old company did a lot of that. Rounders down through US into OH and up into ON, loads of steel loaded and tarped, dropped in Winnipeg yard, then another driver took it west.

Pretty convenient, but I was always nervous hooking up to a trailer I never strapped and tarped. If I can't see what was done, how can I trust it?

If I ever went back to flat deck, it would be for a roll-tite only fleet (or just O/O so I set the tarping rate). I enjoy tarping, but nobody here pays well enough for the work so I would never think of doing it again.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  9. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    It was 100 deg down here today when I tarped my load of sheetrock. I bet you'd really enjoy tarping in that, lol.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  10. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    hhn.gif

silinus vers and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.