Where's my freight?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, May 27, 2019.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    From the article:

What is happening?

A well-known national shipper approached one of our mid-market truckload clients in January. This shipper was worried about capacity and wanted our client to commit to a specific number of loads per week on a specific lane. The carrier positioned spot trailers, secured capacity by increasing a commitment at the destination, mapped EDI, implemented service tracking metrics and trained personnel. The business worked well for our client and appeared to work well for the shipper, until last week when our client inquired why they had received no tenders as of Thursday. The shipper’s emailed response:

“The carriers that are accepting the freight are large brokers who have a lower rate, so they are receiving the tenders first and they are accepting them. "Any movement on your rate to get you in a better position?”

Those few words convey a lot. This business morphed from a “commitment” and “partnership” to a transaction. It was a “commitment” when the shipper was concerned about 2019 capacity. The same business turned transactional when the supply and demand relationship changed and provided an economic incentive for the shipper to utilize the spot market."

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  3. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    So the carrier made the commitment to the loads, repositioned trailers, etc, and the shipper still STABBED them in the back!

There is NO loyalty in practically every industry or field I have ever worked, none. They'll cut your throat and leave you bleeding for a hundred bucks.

4. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Gotta love the language they use LOL

In other words, "would you like it with some lubrication, or none at all?"

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Rideandrepair, sergolet, Opus and 7 others Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Definitely needed a stronger contract if that’s the response from a non performing customer.

Wonder what the game plan is from the current- do you cut your own feet off by cutting your own rate? Do you pull all your equipment from said shipper? Do you commit to a rate cut, commit to all the loads & then pull all your equipment out n cost them money at the expense of your reputation? Do you slowly move away from that customer altogether/only use them for filler?

6. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    I didn't see in the article where there was an actual contract in place. Did I miss it?

Seems like as the carrier I would have it before committing any resources.

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    It's a tough call, especially when millions of dollars are at stake. Just look at what Amazon did to XPO awhile back.

That backstab cost them about a half billion dollars.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    GOD I love corporate speak. Such legalize boilerplate that says this:

You and your carefully designed dedicated trucks serving no one else but you at any price is STABBED in the back and sent to the back of the line. No one will pay your prices and rates. They will do work at a lower rate for other people or companies before they load at your rate and schedule.

Particularly if they are free to run more loads for other people and companies for more income than the rate you set strictly in your contracts. No wonder your carefully constructed game of "Truck Jenga" gets all scattered across the table.

If you wish to continue your carefully constructed services by trucking, buy your own trucks, hire your own drivers and so on. IF the shipper refuses to ship your trucks at your rates, Buy the shipper's entire company lock stock and barrel and then dictate them to load your trucks for your precious scheduling.

One reason I never became a broker. I was told if you want to be a broker you need the following.

Ability to drink like a fish.
    Ability to curse and swear like a sailor.
    And ability *Drumroll to go on long weekends leaving the temp who knows nothing to handle the calls from your irate customers or drivers unable to finish deliveries.

Rideandrepair, 6wheeler and mp4694330 Thank this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    The author of the article mentioned contracts, whether the client he wrote about had a binding contract in place, who knows, you would assume they had something in writing.

However, what I have learned over the years, is that contracts usually provide some out language.

Carriers and shippers need to get on the same page and support each other. Fortunately, there are shippers and carriers that currently enjoy this relationship. The long-term success of the industry depends on fair rates, driver-friendly freight, and most importantly real and binding agreements that specify freight lanes and volumes. Unfortunately, until something changes to lower the entry barriers to the industry, the invisible hand of economics will continue to favor the shippers and impede consistent and long-term carrier profitability and viability. Thus has it always been, and thus shall it ever be.

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Excuse me- lower the entry barriers??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.