Where's my freight?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, May 27, 2019.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm wondering if that was a typo on his part and what he meant was the opposite.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i would probably pull a lot of my capacity from that account and when they ask where my trucks are tell them they are hauling better paying freight, maybe if they wanted to move up on there rates i would bring them back.

4. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    the same thing happened/is happening to me. Steady client merges and with merge, they kept the other brokers as well. Things start to dry up and I am constantly asked to lower rate. We are in the 30% range on rates ($30-$50 most times). Still not low enough they have decided that lowest takes no matter the service level. Even though I am being told that their lowest rates have service failures left and right, yet we are told we have one of the lowest failure rates. Even had what was though as a good relationship... Which it was but then found out that the "now" head honcho is from a major carrier and yeah that major carrier is the one winning the bids with the lowest rates. I won't go that low, it will cost more than it is worth.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Loyalty is extremely hard to find.

For the most part when times are good you gotta stick in their ###, and when times are bad you plan on them trying to stick it in your ###. Just the way it is.

Unless it’s a very rare situation then playing nice only makes you lose in a matter of time.

6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I know that feeling. I lost a major customer as a result of merger. Lowest price rules, versus the fact that I delivered trucks on time and on demand *every* time. Oh well, I guess.

7. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    What might be thought of as a working "relationship", is more about convenience and in the end, the dollar wins. The moral of the story is don't put all your eggs in one basket!

8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Very true. I noticed my post up above didn’t get many thanks about sticking it in each other’s ###. LMAO

I’m ALL about relationships and loyalty but just like you said at the end of the day the dollar wins. If a relationship is convenient it’s considered good, if it’s not then it’s disposable for I’d say 95 out of 100 shippers.

So, if you don’t get every last dollar you can while the markets are good then you’ve only screwed yourself when the markets are bad.

9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Broker I've been hauling loads consistently for on my lane emailed me this morning about an available load next week.

Me: "Cool, let's work it in."

Him: "This is "bullsheat, man, they just told me we're cutting the rate $100 (10%) and I told the boss we worked out a semi-dedicated rate out for Scooter a few mos ago and he's been totally dependable!"

His manager: "It's just business."

There you have a micro-level example of exactly what the article I posted from FreightWaves highlighted.

When the shipper/broker needed to secure capacity it was relational. When capacity loosened, it became transactional.

I told him no thanks I already jumped on another wave in the interim and I'll ride this one for awhile.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.