Which car stereo will work on mine?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PE_T, Apr 8, 2020.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

So I’m finally going to replace the stereo in my truck. The volume hasn’t been working well for some time. How do I know which one will fit or are they all pretty much standard size? The one I currently have is in the image below. The truck is a 2014 Freightliner Cascadia.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    You may not be able to find a radio that your trucks wiring harness will plug right in to unless to go to Freightliner, which I wouldn’t do. You can take your radio out and take It to Best Buy’s installation dept(if they are open) and they can sell you the plug that will plug in to your trucks harness which I have done. Then you can connect the plug that comes with the new stereo to the plug you buy from Best Buy. The stereo in your truck usually will pull right out with a small screw driver prying the top and bottom.

BUMBACLADWAR, Chinatown and PE_T Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Sirscrapntruckalot and PE_T Thank this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Looks like about any Pioneer or Sony should fit right in there. You can always solder the right plug on, can get about everything you'd need at your local Walmart.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Oh, you also don't "need" a harness, just the wire diagram. That harness is just so you don't have to cut the factory harness.

Found a better place (maybe) for the harness... FREIGHTLINER RADIO HARNESS
    And this is weird, I'm actually having trouble finding a wiring diagram. :(

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I called the dealer, and the parts guy says they want $350 for the factory stereo! I was hoping it would cost under $100.

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    That is exactly why I wouldn’t go to Freightliner. The plug and stereo both won’t be much more than $100.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Get the harness and removal key for $30, go to Car Stereo: Stereos, Radios & Receivers and get a stereo from anywhere from $30 to $600 depending on features. Or like mentioned above, go to Wally World, Worst Buy, or any other big box that sells electronics. You can easily get a new radio and harness for less than $100. I'd suggest the $150-$200 range for a quality one though.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    It has been a few years since I built an adapter for a Freightliner but I do remember it was for a VW. Don’t waste the money for the tool to pull it out, a small screw driver works for your truck. It also fit in a Mack. EE299AE0-3FE5-4663-B872-CEC471F909AD.png

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I actually do have the tools to take it out. I knew those two little tools were for something and fortunately I held onto them. Hahaha.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.