Which Cat 3406 should I start with for maximum HP

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by staffcurtis, Dec 10, 2012.

1. staffcurtis

staffcurtis Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2012
    So basically I should look for the 5DS, 1MM, and 7CZ if I want the 15.8L engines...

One other thing; How much would it be to build up an engine that was not the best prefix? I maybe able to find a 14.6L with bad heads or water in the block and have it built up cheaper to have crazy power. From what I can tell, I will pay $5-$7k more for a semi with the 15.8L vs the 14.6L, and save an additional $3k if the engine needs work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Correct on the 15.8L's

Hard to say the cost difference, depends on the engine you build and if you do a build and you plan on replacing injectors and cam no matter what then the cost will pretty well be the same no matter what engine you're building as long as you don't have to replace the crank. I'd say the 15.8 cylinder kits may be a little more money than a 14.6 but I doubt a lot if any.

If your doing a build on an MBN than your definitely replacing cylinder kits, injectors and cam to make it a true 6NZ.

staffcurtis Thanks this.
  4. staffcurtis

Dec 9, 2012
    I just located an engine with a 4CK12779 for the engine serial. Which model is this? A guy is selliing it complete in a 1995 Ford semi for $4800. Says it runs good, but it looks really rough.

5. staffcurtis

Dec 9, 2012
    I just bought a 1995 gmc white (volvo) semi with a cat 3406 with engine serial 5EK49967. What kind of mods can this engine take? From what I've read, this engine maybe pretty weak. It states on the cover 365hp max.

6. underpsi

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    More than likely that engine was built with aluminum pistons. Which means you're gonna be very limited on the power without risking damaging the pistons. Basically you bought one of the worst 3406E's to build big power with. Without rebuilding the engine and putting in different cam and steel top pistons your not making over 500hp safely. Than if you do that you run the risk of the block cracking around 800hp or more. I've heard you can use, I believe B model oil pump plate whcih is suppose to be bigger than the 5EK's and that will act as a girdle for the bottom. Weather it will help the block from cracking I'm not too sure.

7. staffcurtis

Dec 9, 2012
    Guys,

I found another truck with a serial number 5EK65443. I think it says the max is 445hp. Have not seen that rating before, but would this engine do well? It is in a 1996 Freightliner.

8. CatPowerC15

CatPowerC15 Medium Load Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Siler City, NC
    4CK is PEEC...look at another 1K to convert to mechanical, or just walk away.

9. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    According to CAT it started life as a 435 Hp engine. It has been updated with a LOW NOX Software file, but not a 455 Hp file. You are probably seeing the MAX Hp rating available with this engines combination of parts by CATERPILLAR that is also listed on the engine tag. It isn't a bad engine, but you'll have to change a number of parts to achieve the Hp you're looking for.

10. staffcurtis

Dec 9, 2012
    What parts would I need to change (internal or external)?

11. underpsi

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    pistons, cam and probably injectors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.