which clutch to get

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gunner76, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    had a lipe in my 2000 yr truck over 650000 on it when I sold it. this truck 2years no issues. I was the other way eatons were grabby for me lipe smooth transition. the trick is the adjustment of them all. the eatons always ended up throwing springs out of the disk after time for me.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Mid-America Clutch is Easy pedal style but cheaper and equal or better quality. I have one and love it (as much as one can love a clutch!)

Switched from my million mile Rockwell (pilot bearing siezed and clutch ran out of adjustment) and it went in as easy as the old one came out.

Recomended to me by high horse CAT builder buddy.

4. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    The next clutch going in my puller will be from south bend clutch, only people so far that really up the plate load on an easy pedal style clutch with 4400# and 4800# loads compared to a standard 2050 which is 4000#, it will also have feramic buttons.

5. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    well, I went ahead and had the shop install the Lipe since they had that one is stock and I needed my truck back ASAP. It worked great for the first 1000 miles and now coming home tonight I lost all my free travel in the pedal:smt011. Whatever happened was fast and instantaneous, at one light I had normal pedal travel and 15mi down the road at the next stop sign I had no freeplay and the clutch engagement went from being towards the bottom of the pedal travel to towards the top. I'm going to call the shop first thing in the morning and make them get the truck in since I have the day off.

If the clutch has to come out for some reason I'm making them put an Eaton easy pedal in. Probably should've done that in the first place.

6. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    update. It turned out the problem was the locking nut had worked loose and the adjustment nut had backed off. The shop readjusted the clutch and tightened the locknut back down. They gave me the adjustment "tool" and showed me how to set the clutch myself. Hopefully this won't be a continuing problem.

does anyone know if there is a spanner wrench that will fit the locking rings? I think that would make tightening them down a lot easier than using the rod that came with the clutch.

7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    sounds like someone forgot to tighten the lock nut.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.