Which ELD did you go with

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by mitmaks, Dec 9, 2017.

1. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    does any one has experience with VDO roadlog?
    I can't find much reviews on this device.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wrongwaytommy

wrongwaytommy Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    one of my friends has 2 trucks,and he bought one for each truck
    he says each driver has a "key" like a thumb drive.The roadlog people load the drivers info on each key.When you park the truck,you take the key,when another driver wants to use that same truck,he just uses his key.
    no data on his phone since his phone is free and not used in the logging process.I am not sure how accurate on the miles it is since he only has 5 days on it.I think he told me he paid over 850 and no monthly fee

chimbotano Thanks this.
  4. LST SaddleTramp

LST SaddleTramp Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Passing you on the right!
    Agriculture and Livestock 90 day ext.
    Big deal, then what after 90 days?

5. LST SaddleTramp

Dec 17, 2017
  6. chimbotano

Apr 21, 2013
    How is VDO working for you so far?

7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Company gave me an Omnitracs unit to install, it is rather large and bulky, and takes up a good chunk of space. I had to tear apart the entire dash to get it in, real PIA. The unit itself is new, but uses slow and ancient technology. The GPS mapping is right out of a 2008 Tom Tom unit, it likes to direct you to neighborhoods and corn fields. Start up takes 5 minutes, very slow, like an old PC. When driving, and a message comes through, it will read it back to you. I told dispatch not to use it, stick with texting on the phone if you want to contact me when rolling. And no, I do not text and drive, but I can see when I have a message without diverting my attention away from the road. The ELD is mounted on my dash, over near the passenger seat, only place I could find to mount it. And I have yet to figure out how to dismantle the large DOOMSDAY clock from showing up. I would rather it be a blank screen. Maybe I'll throw a box over it. ;-)

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  8. chimbotano

Apr 21, 2013
    How is your Blue Ink Tech working for you so far?

9. LST SaddleTramp

Dec 17, 2017
    I am still on paper, not sure what to get for a one truck operation.
    That won't expire next year (BOYD).
    Garmin?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  10. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    From the reports on Garmin and the reviews I've seen, I sure wouldn't go with them. I went with a TransFlo T-7 from Love's Truck Stop. They have a deal going where they refund the price to your rewards card, and the $20.00 monthly fee is refunded to your card also, making it free. Any purchases on the rewards card is sales tax free....so you get more for your dollar with it. I've been using it for 2 weeks now with no issues, just works like its suppose to. I have the app on my phone (iphone 7, 256 gb). Customer support gets back to you and they are giving a webinar Wednesday for users to gain more information about the system. But its pretty straight forward, nothing complex. No Bluetooth to give trouble, Connects over cell data. Has an admin portal, Its working good for my one truck operation. I think plenty of ram on the phone is better. I would use a tablet with it, if I had one. I'm looking around for one to use with it, but so far the phone is doing the job.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Reason for edit: More info.
    LST SaddleTramp Thanks this.
  11. LST SaddleTramp

Dec 17, 2017
    @Makeajump,
    I have no points on my Love's or any other card anymore. Not for a long time. I still have the card.
    I don't fuel but only at small regionals and Independents.
    That being said, did you buy it with points or are you staying they put purchase price back onto the card?

It runs off data. Ok that means it would be best to get unlimited data(Verizon).

This is a bring your own device(BOYD)
    and the FMCSA is outlawing them next year?
    Where should I look for a Tablet, Walmart maybe?
    I will not use my personal phone!
    Thank you for the good information.
    Free ELD I will check this out?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.