Which eld for 1 truck owner?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Wajid8705, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Wajid8705

Wajid8705 Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    North Carolina
    I talked to keeptruckin on phone last week. I was told that I can buy the equipment but it be cheaper if I just lease the equipment which includes eld, ifta reporting, dashcam for around $50/month.

I told the guy I really don't want dashcam because it doesn't have option to record in parking mode but he insisted me to get dashcam by giving me discount. Without dashcam it's $40/month.

Anybody got same kt with dashcam? Any issues with this eld? Or recommend any other eld?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    I like big road only equipment is the datalink cable and the little box would have to check but I believe it’s half the price of what you talking but I don’t need it for ifta I can write down state line miles and a cheap Walmart smart phone or tablet would be your device

Wajid8705 Thanks this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I like the Garmin. Available at the truck stop for roughly $250, with no monthly fees. All data is stored locally on your device (no "cloud" or 3rd party internet server) giving you absolute and total control over who can access it. I run mine through a dedicated tablet, and keep mobile data and wifi turned off while going down the road, also eliminating the possibility of some hacker using the ELD as a back door into my truck's ECM. If you have an #80 series Garmin dézl GPS (580, 780), you shouldn't need the extra tablet...it'll work with the GPS. I already had the 570, so while it'll display HOS info from the ELD, I still needed the phone or tablet to make it all work.

Dieselboss, Wajid8705 and blade Thank this.
  5. Wajid8705

Jun 9, 2018
    North Carolina
    So you don't need a device with data to work with garmin eld? I have a iPad (Wifi only, not cellular version)so I can use it with this garmin eld?

6. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    I am not familiar with the Garmin devices but yes this is possible, do a little research on the device it may be the one you are searching for.

There are two types of FMCSA-approved ELDs: "local" and "telematics". "local" ELD's do not require connectivity.

Wajid8705 Thanks this.
  7. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Check out Blue Ink Tech BIT ELD. One time fee with no additional $ after that for the basic unit.
    BIT - Blue Ink Tech

Wajid8705 Thanks this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I don't know if there is an apple app or if you'd need an android device to run it.

Wajid8705 Thanks this.
  9. Wajid8705

Jun 9, 2018
    North Carolina
    I called keeptruckin again today and told him I just need eld no dashcam or nothing just straight eld.
    Now he gave me price of $30/month but he said I have to pay for whole year in advance which at $30/month comes out to be $360 total need to pay upfront.
    I won't be owning the equipment just leasing/subscription fee for $30/month.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    ...and at the end of the year you get to write another check or return the equipment.

I bought my Garmin in December 2017. Installed it in April 2018 (took all of 10 seconds to plug it in and a few minutes to set up). Hasn't cost me a dime since.

blacklabel and Wajid8705 Thank this.
  11. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    We went with RoadLog, we own the device, no connectivity needed and no monthly fees.

Wajid8705 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.