Which flatbed for reliability/ longevity hauling coils?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by slav, Sep 21, 2018.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I still run a 42' what more do you need. I can way overload that. Why drag another 6 foot?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Never liked the big singles, plus the rates suck. Now not afraid to put a 40 in the front, and 40 in the rear. Maybe slip a LTL in the middle however.

4. slav

slav Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Is your trailer Big Bubba?

Tug Toy and jamespmack Thank this.
  5. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Nope 1996 Fruehauf steel/alum combo 42' 96" wide, Its a antique. If your gonna haul heavy, short as you can. If your gonna haul just open deck general freight get a 48'.

6. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Only need 5 foot for a coil, you know how many will fit on a 48'.

7. slav

slav Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I want to be able to switch between general freight and coils, if I have to( in case coils are slow), but no plans for permit loads in near future. I'm here asking for an advice because I neither want to be underequipped, nor I want to get an overkill trailer.
    I see more side kit Big Bubbas than Maxmisers. Do they run Big Bubba because they haul heavy permit loads or 46-48 legal singles?

8. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I guess, I have nothing good to say about reits, worked on them when new and they didn't stay together. I hear that that problem if fixed but idk. Personally I would like fontaines (side rail) but never had one. East or mac is great. I hear there is a Xtreme trailer built in Dover Ohio. I want more info on them. I checkout their website. Im interested, would be worth a drive for me.

NoBigHurry, Tug Toy and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  9. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    I have a Fontaine. I really like it except for throwing chain on some loads. It has chain pulls and if the load is wide enough to cover them it can be a pain with the way the rail is designed.

10. slav

slav Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I haul Fontaine Revolution 52 now. I'm renting it. It's lighter than most trailers at 8.5 klb. The side rail is definitely sturdier compared to transcraft eagle two. It's fairly new, 2015. Some ABS problems, which a professional shop fixes in 2 hours max. Other than that, no complaints. Again, it's too new to judge it's longevity with a coil or two a day. I would love to see a long term review on that trailer. Anyone hauling coils with a Fontaine Revolution 52?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  11. slav

slav Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I was a bit frustrated with the chains/rubrail as well.now I'm used to it, but I agree, it's not as comfortable as a traditional rub rail. On the upside I can use stake pockets for strap on the winch end.

jamespmack and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.