Which flatbed for reliability/ longevity hauling coils?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by slav, Sep 21, 2018.

1. slav

slav Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    How long have you been pulling it? What do you mostly haul? Do you think it's sturdy enough to haul coils often? Have you heard other owners reviews about their Fontaines? Is yours aluminum Revolution 52?

Tug Toy and jamespmack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    I have the Infinity, had it a month. I think you could haul standard coils every day for years and be fine, but I wouldn't get into 50k+ on a regular basis.

I haul whatever I can put on my trailer that pays.

4. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I just talked to an acquaintance about an Extreme trailer he bought in the spring. So far so good. Looks a bit like a cross between a Ravens and a Mac. I think the owners came from Mac and maybe Benson. He has a older Pete thats heavy. Like 22000lbs heavy. He's goid for 48500 on the deck. He has a side kit on it. Says the one difference is the floor has an extruded x inside the floor panels. The floor is 1"x1" square tubes like cardboard and this x is inside each tube. Hard to explain without seeing it or being there. I pull an aluminum Fontaine which is a Ravens after they bought them out. The floor is very similar appearing to that trailer. Older East trailers had solid aluminum bars put into the cavities in the floor to keep them from collapsing from hauling coils steady. The sales pitch is the x is lighter and as strong or stronger. Who knows?lol

slav, Tug Toy, Ruthless and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. 6rider

6rider Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ontario
    Get a Verduyn Tarp if you can. The best most well built tarp system in my experience!! Quick draws are a flimsy joke compared to the build quality and ease of opening of a Verduyn. I always see guys struggle to get a quick draw open cause the wheels lock up on one side.

slav Thanks this.
  6. slav

slav Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I had the same experience with a quick draw just last week( it just wouldn't roll frontward when I tried to roll it to the front, no matter if I pushed from drivers or passenger side, on top of the trailer or outside) when I attempted to swap my leased Fastrak. I refused the freshly installed quick draw(relatively freshly,I guess), and took my leased Fastrak on Fontaine Revolution 52 to the shop exit 240 I 65. Just next door to flying j. They fixed my abs problem after 4 other attempts at TA, Petro , and a Chicago shop VI I guess the name was), and I'm a happy trucker now trailerwise. The name of the shop that fixed the ABS ghost is Crossroads, just a bit of useful advertising.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Tug Toy and 6rider Thank this.
  7. slav

slav Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. Where's the closest Verduin to Chicago? The service location is as important as the price of the tarp system IMHO.

8. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    Fontaine is hard to beat with a Conestoga Especially if you use your straps a lot . The routed side rail is very friendly for that. Chaining through the rail is a bit of a hassle though.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    jamespmack and slav Thank this.
  9. 6rider

6rider Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ontario
    Not sure on locale but they give a # (219) 888 9383 or (844) 501 7743 for Chicago. I believe the second # is for their Gary (IN) location. Are also in Detroit. Their site:
    Home

slav Thanks this.
  10. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    How can you tell what the beams are rated for when shopping for a used one?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.