Which for my 1st truck Volvo I Shift or Freightliner auto?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by transit443, Nov 8, 2018.

1. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Op, do you have a driver already and how does your insurance premium look like?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    If those are you’re only two options I’d take the I shift. What’s the warranty on the D12 transmission?

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Kenworth T680 with 12 speed endurant transmission. X15 engine with 450hp. Get extended 5yr 500k warranty on the motor.

Edit: If you are a brand new owner and know nothing about trucks, yet are serious about making this work then you might as well buy a brand new truck. If your not well funded enough to do so. Don’t start a trucking company. Get owner ops first. The used trucks will swamp you and mechanics will take major advantage of your ignorance. No offense intended.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Opendeckin and magoo68 Thank this.
  5. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    So have you looked at how easy it will be finding a driver? Why an automated if you will never drive the truck?

6. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    There good but not as good.

7. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    I hope you have deep pockets trying to start this adventure with no knowledge, best advice is if you are determined to start it, hire somebody who knows the transportation industry to run it, gonna be ruff trial and error on your dime..

But, I’ll still answer your question.

the i-shift is the best auto tranny on the market, has been for a few years.. Dt-12 is junk after driving I-shift.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  8. cnwebb89

cnwebb89 Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2018
    I'd recommend looking at a Freightliner Columbia with the 60 series engine instead of the Cascadia. Doesn't have DEF system and pulls better than DD15 in my experience. Volvo's I shift is definitely superior, if you can find one with the ISX 15 in it, I'd go Volvo. One thing about the I Shift is, they tend to develop air issues around 600k. I'm just not a fan of Cascadias.

9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Where will you find a Volvo with a Cummin engine AND a i-shift? ?

10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Neither, you'll be bankrupt after paying for service on the transmissions (and likely emissions) before the end of your first year.

Find a Freightliner Columbia, Kenworth T600 or a Peterbilt 377 (if you need an aero truck) with a Caterpillar, Detroit Series 60 or early Cummins (N14) under the hood and a manual on the floor. If you are really concerned about making it big in this industry as a business owner, you need to make a sound financial decision for your first truck. One that will make more money than it costs to operate so that you can actually turn a profit and build a solid base of reliable customers.

11. 20 Mule Team

20 Mule Team Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Atlanta
    If you are set on Volvo with I-shift then keep in mind that a Mack with M-drive is the exact same thing, just rebadged. Volvo bought Mack years ago.

They tend to be a bit cheaper, though not as plentiful.

I'm happy with mine so far.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.