Which one? Volvo or Freightliner

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Rabbit_B, May 25, 2011.

1. US MARINE

US MARINE Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    So you guys are saying the V12 is a good engine ?

Reason I ask is I am approved for a
    2006 - VNL 670 with a APU life time fuel is at 6.4
    But I think I can get it up to 6.8 or even 7 with a few minor tweaks and staying out of the gas ...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    D12C is good. D12D and D12F got expencive twin valve Delphi injectors. Mechanically all D12 are similar from D12A to D12F

All EPA 2005 and Euro IV D12D/F got dual EGR. Different core, but inside aka ISX EGR. Non EGR D12D was available on EU market only of E3 emission

D13 EGR is more reliable.

4. Webstermike1

Webstermike1 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2011
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    You might struggle to get and keep 6.4, with an apu you do better keeping 6.4, i can't say anything bad about my volvo, the might be better ones out there but this one is mine. You are the only one that can make a good truck good. keep up with the maintiance, try not to fall into the " well i really don't need to fix that " crap. and most of all there is an old wise saying cleanliness is next to godlyness, " clean fuel, clean air, clean oil, it will run forever. almost.

5. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    I have an Volvo VNL 780 with the D12 motor, with I-shift trans. I put on about 90,000 miles all ready, 540,2000 on the the meter. mileage per gallon is between 6.42 6.9 pulling about 50,000 to 80,000 pounds continuously. Yes I would buy an another Volvo in a heart beat . The ride of the Volvo is 100 times better then freight shaker, Just my opinion.

6. uglyvegas

uglyvegas Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2011
    las vegas, nv
    if you want comfort, quietness, smooth riding trucking, and I find that I stay more alert when I have them get the volvo. Especially if it has a cummins, you will have a few more electrical problems but most of mine were pretty minor and easily fixed. Wish I had it back, but the co I drive for now doesn't have any.... durn it.:biggrin_25512:

7. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Bought an 03 with the 500 Cummins recently. All I can say is, wow. Far and away the best riding truck I have ever been in, no electrical issues yet, fingers crossed.

I'll throw up some pictures soon here to show it off, lol.

8. Sand Trooper

Sand Trooper Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Fort Worth
    to me a Columbia looks like an overgrown PT cruiser and a second gen VN looks like a space shuttle. I just like the way the Volvos are designed personally. those headlamps would look good even on a Le Mans GT1 or a prototype.

9. Tarl Cabot

Tarl Cabot Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fla
    I bought a 2015 Volvo 670 in march and love it. I have posted videos on youtube at KGM JAM.

10. Webstermike1

Webstermike1 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2011
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    Nice, I've got mine in 09, now I have 963,000 miles on her, just a few tips for you. Don't take it to TA or even Petro for repairs, I've tried them just to save money but in the long run every thing I had repaired the lessor shops had to be redone at Volvo, even most of the techs there just want you to tell them what part to change, they have the parts in the most case. my Volvo doesn't like Bridgestone or even Goodyear. so I stay with the 16 ply Michelin. Every 500,000 miles I get my rear bearings torque checked. there seems to be a problem with the axles getting flat spots on the top and bottom of the driver side wheel bearings. also the Belt tensioners I get them from O'Rileys. the belts run $22.00 and $14.00, the tensioners $90.00 and $60.00 they are all made by gates and are just as good as Volvo. for filters I use CAT when ever possible, I run oil samples and I changed my oil for the first time last week after 230,000 miles. I also use synthetic I was using Royal Purple ( Volvo recommends ) but now I'm using Mobil 1 5w-40, Royal Purple is harder to get now. I take my truck by SpeedCo. every month and get a grease and all checks. plus oil samples. the sample is different because each speedco has a different machine so I don't trust them as much, but it a good feeling to know nothing is really wrong, ok but if you get something really out take a sample to a outside lab.

11. The_Judge

The_Judge Light Load Member

May 25, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec
    If I always used regular 15W-40 Delo and I switch to synthetic is it gonna be a problem for the engine ? And if I switch to sintetic can I go back to regular ? Any input here ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.