Which state has the lowest insurance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by georgio_93, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.Enterprises

M.Enterprises Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Ooooooh I see. Yea I was wondering why he was rambling about cigarette taxes. Now I still don't know...but I'm not as confused. I think Maine is worth looking at.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    That's funny because my TX property taxes on $80k are about $600 and the old people I bought the place from had the senior citizen iscount and only paid $100 so I dont know where your getting not being able to paytaxes. I moved form WI and my property taxes on less land and a 150 year old farmhouse were $4000 plus your giving up 10% of your income to state income tax, car rigistrations had gone up so much the last few years it was costing me over a grand a year just to register personal vehicles. and cigereets there are over $6 a pack too. I don't smoke anymore so I on't even know what they are in TX. Oh did I mention that house in WI sold for $250k and I bought my place here for $75
    That said though if yor a trucker, TX isn't the greatest freight area

I'm researched states for retirement and arkansas is high on the list. they do have a state income tax but it's the lowest in the country and they have senior citizen exemptions and the cost of living is very very low. if your not retired though, so are the wages

4. georgio_93

georgio_93 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles

Do you mind sharing which areas in the country are really good freight areas or the best for truckers because I am going to go pretty soon to get my CDL and want to know the best state. Right now my plan is to get schooled at SAGE in coeur d'alene, ID and actually test in Spokane, WA so I can get my CDL there. So far my reasoning is that Idaho income taxes are worse than CA where I am at now and WA has none. Any input?

5. BCTINC

BCTINC Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    The Highway
    Since you will be a company driver, you should look for carrier close to home....

6. georgio_93

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well, I will be relocating as I said in my other posts. I don't like living here in CA. So with that in mind I am trying to find the best state to acquire my CDL. I really want to find a state that has a lot of trucking jobs AND no state income tax because 1) I hate filing for it and 2) I hate paying for it. I rather pay a higher property tax than an income tax. Property taxes are fully deductible but state income tax is not deductible at all.

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    the best freight areas for most companies is the midwest. IL, IN,MO, KY, MN etc

TX is a good place to live if you live up north on I 40 or I 20 you can get through the house but TX is like FL, everything goes in and nothing comes out.

freight out to CA right now is about as cheap as i've ever seen it. besides there is very few companies who run west coast freight on solo drivers

8. georgio_93

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I can believe that. CA isn't doing so well. While "jobs" are still plentiful, there aren't many "careers". I am tired of being hired making a puny $12/hour and then 2 years later the company needs to make cuts, outsources, or plain old goes bankrupt and I have to find another occupation. I need a career that pays at least 45-50k and that is more stable. The demographics of CA are really bad now with whites only consisting of 45% of the population and companies leaving because of tax hikes. The amount of social programs are so high that the state is close to bankruptcy and the governors plan is to raise income tax from 9% to 15% flat tax. Even if he made it a flat tax at 9% it would be way worse because it woud eliminate graduated brackets and eliminate the 7k state deduction. It is really bad here. That is why I am looking into trucking because it is somewhat of a recession proof occupation.

9. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    HA!

no way you'll make that trucking. at least not for many years and them mabey not. especially considering drivers wages have gone down for a few years now

How is trucking recession proof? we are usually the first industry hit by a recession. I think you need to do a little better research.

Fact of the matter is were just a bunch of road junkies out here. I liken it to a heroin junky. When we areout on the road free of lifes hassles nothing is better. When we come down off our fix (go home) we hate it and hate ourselves for loving it. Ten you work up the guts to leave your family again and the fix is on again.

we sure aint doing it for the money. I can make as much delivering pizzas as I do after paying to live and eat on the road

10. georgio_93

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well it depends what type of freight you are delivering. I think food deliveries via reefers is pretty recession proof. Everyone has to eat. Restaurants, bars, liqueur stores, and tobacco are the only industries doing well here in SoCal with this recession. As for salary, I found a few places that are willing to pay up to .44 cpm. It all depends on the miles you get though but if you can get 2500 miles per week on that it will be about 55k salary/year with 2 weeks off. If companies try to screw me on the miles I just will not work for one unless they pay hourly at 20/hr.

11. BCTINC

BCTINC Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    The Highway
    And the funniest post of the year goes to.........

onelikeseabass and The Challenger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.