Which state has the lowest insurance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by georgio_93, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgio_93

georgio_93 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Whats funny about it. My salary requirements? I don't know where you live but if you are not making 60k a year you aren't surviving. Median house prices for a 2000 square foot home is 600k where I live and a similar house in most of the midwest is about 100-150k. I don't mind making 25-30k if I live if I relocate to the midwest. UPS, Fedex, Yellow workers make a lot of money for highschool educated folks. Not sure if the unions are responsible for their higher salaries.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    no kidding right.

reefer industry is in the worse condition i've seen and I started in it in the early 90's Right now these guys are hauling for the same or close to the same as we did back then and fuel was $0.89 gallon. You think people dont stop buying food when money sucks? let me tell you they certainly do. it's down to bare essentials and what percentage of the food you guys buy would you honestly classify as "essentials"?? Right now if I look at my load board any load out to CA is paying under $1 a mile and we only get a percentage of that. So even if you domanage to get a better rate on produce coming back the whole trip is still crap because you ran all the way back across the country for just fuel money. now you have to dip into your pocket for wear and tear on the truck for those miles and you sure aren't getting paid.

and here's the funny thing about trucking companies. the more they pay the less miles you get.... in general. In the end 98% of driving jobs are all the same. two years ago I was driving for $.46cpm, plus nightly per diem, plus drop n hook pay. Right now about the best I could do from a company is about $.36 and perdiem that's for sure.

4. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    And you think your going to go to truck driving school and go get a job at a union shop?? lmao

Your going to go to school and get stuck with some training company who will run the dog pizz out of you with some team mate you don't know for $0.12 a mile untill you are so broke you have to either quit and get a good job or declare bankruptcy.

I'm not trying to be a jerk.I'm trying to show you your misconception and wherever it is you've been doing your homework you need to find somewhere else.

5. georgio_93

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I have been doing all of my homework through these boards and just started researching about the industry for like a week now if you look at my join date. I guess my view of the economy is a little different then the rest of middle America because of where I live and how much money it take to live decently where I live. But if the industry is as grim as you portray it I guess I won't waste my time.

6. georgio_93

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You sound like you are in a lease agreement. Are you?

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    it's easy to look at information and absorb the part of it you want to while ignoring the rest. just look at it all.
    I HIGHLY doubt you will make $40k a year untill you have about ten years in with the industry like it is. That is if you can even get a job. There is a ton of highly experience drivers and new drivers unemployed. Who do you think is getting hired? Schneider closed down it's schools and is only hiring experienced people now. First time since the 80's they have bene able to hire only experienced people. Schools are still making promises to everyone but look around at how many of the graduates are here saying they can't find anyone to hire them

8. georgio_93

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well should I just get my CDL for free and save myself the expense of a school? The teamsters in LA county are currently offering free education for CDL's and I know I am smart enough to pass the exams. Would you consider that route. I don't want to invest 5k into a school like SAGE unless I can get proper training, accreditation from a PTDI school that will facilitate my entrance into a good company. If I am still going to be unemployed I rather take my chances and pay a couple hundred bucks and get my CDL virtually free with the programs they have available.

9. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I own my truck and am leased to a company.

10. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    If you can get a cdl for a few hundred why would you even consider paying $5k for it?

11. georgio_93

May 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well, the training and how prepared you are would probably be better in a school then the free driving time they are offering. Secondly, I don't think a company will hire with just a CDL. They probably want to see an official school and I have read on this board that some companies won't hire unless its a PTDI accredited one as well. Secondly, most companies use trucking schools to do the brunt of their hiring from what I have read on these boards.

It seems like like the whole Ivy League school situation. People that graduate from Ivy League schools get all the good high paying jobs and the people that graduate from community colleges get a pat on the back and still get paid high school grad wages.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.