Which truck?

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Dozzer6, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Dozzer6

Dozzer6 Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Vancouver, Washington
    Submitted my app and Leona called me back. Looks like Hireguy was right. We talked today, good conversation. The ball is rolling. Perhaps I am putting the cart before the horse, but I am curious. If you had your choice of truck, which one would you choose of the ones MTC runs in their fleet and why would you choose it? I like the Cascadia, but like the exterior of the Pete 387 better. I think I like the ProStar interior. All of my info is from photos though and seeing them roll by at freeway speeds. Anywho.

Thoughts anyone?

Dozzer

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Like Steve said in another post, whatever truck gets me the most miles.

I have been in the 387, ProStar and Cascadia.

I am loving my Cascadia right now. It could be that I am still new in this truck, but it is great. My only downside right now is there was no room to put my refrigerator. There is a spot in one of the cabinets for one to go, but I cannot fit one of the dorm style fridges.

The 387 and Cascadia both fight for the most storage space. The ProStar is not bad if you get one of the full condo sleepers. They have more storage than the mid roofs that they "accidentally" got on their first batch.

The 387 turns wider and has a slightly higher viewing angle than both the ProStar and the Cascadia. You wouldn't know the difference unless you get into different trucks.

You really cannot go wrong with most any truck May gives you. Obviously, the older the truck, the potential for more problems. But, with May's policy of only keeping trucks around for roughly 4 years, you are tough to find one in too bad of shape.

Dozzer6 Thanks this.
  4. justawheelholderfornow

justawheelholderfornow Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    The Bank
    I agree with Efon and Steve...which ever truck keeps you moving/paid.
    That said, I love my 387, and am probably going to be getting a 2012 587 in the very near future. I think the FLs are hideous, and too small on the inside. The midroof ProStars are a waste of a truck, but if that's what I were given, I could care less, as long I was still getting the mile$. It's not my truck, I didn't pay for it, so what difference should it make.
    I can't think of too many other jobs where they say "hey, we don't really know you, but here's a $140k vehicle for you to essentially call your own...take care!"
    Just enjoy/be grateful with whatever you get and make it work for you!!

I will say I got my 387 with 268k on it, and have put almost 100k on it since Thanksgiving, and it has not given me one lick of trouble, save for the DPF (shocking lol) while a buddy of mine has had his FL in the shop (terminals and OTR repair shops) more in the last 6 months than I can count

Dozzer6 Thanks this.
  5. TripleSober

TripleSober Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Yes yes whatever makes the most money/miles. Blah blah blah

I trained on a 2012 587 and am currently in a 2011 prostar (full condo)

The first drive in the prostar I was shocked at how much smoother it felt to drive than the 587. Not sure if that's a break in thing or what but I was pleasantly surprised. smooth ride and shifting seemed effortless.

Luckily my prostar had the drivers side Lower cabinet removed so my dorm fridge and microwave have a home. Not sure what I would have done if it wasn't. More than enough storage especially if you use the upper bunk as storage!

Only complaint is every morning luckily around the time I get going an alarm goes off saying "load shedding" and shuts down all non necessity power. I'm guessing this is to save power to start the engine. I'm running my fridge and 2 fans at night. Not sure if all trucks have this issue but I thought I heard someone say prostars are notorious for battery issues. My concern is how they will handle the bunk heater in the winter? Oh my god I'm think I'm excited for winter cause it doesn't matter what truck your in in the summer they all get HOT!

That being said the 587's are just awesome looking from the exterior!!

Dozzer6 Thanks this.
  6. TripleSober

TripleSober Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Oh yeah major flaw with the 587 the windshield wipers don't work for s*** unless you blast the heat defrost on the windshield. That's super fun when it's hot out.

7. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    I love my 587 had a 387 it was good had a cascadia but it had a detroit diesel awesome storage but I like my peterbilt

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.