Whip lengh wilson 2000

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Thermal95, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Thermal95

Thermal95 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Hello everyone

I drive a 2015 cascadia and currently run a 5.5 Francis antenna. Swr is under 2 and performance is ok(17 air miles) to local base station. I had a local shop cut me a 36' shaft for a Wilson 2000 I have. Has anyone on here had success with a shaft of this lengh? Also, roughly how short will the whip be with this lengh shaft?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Assuming no water leaks into the load, the shaft will work fine. Whip length shouldn't change much. On a Cascadia, 3 foot shaft would be a minimum length I'd use .

Thermal95 Thanks this.
  4. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Stinger will be short...Probably just a couple feet or less...

5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If it was short to begin with. Changing shaft length shows similar results to changing cable length. Adding 3 feet of shaft under the load might require subtracting an inch of stinger above the load.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  6. jessejamesdallas

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    way I read that, was he had a shop build him a longer (36") lower shaft for the antenna...I'm assuming the original shaft was probably 5 to 10" long...If you remove the shorter shaft and stick a longer one on, the thing will still tune to about the same height as before, because you didn't change anything with the coil...Stinger would have to be shorter to compensate for the longer lower shaft.

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Not as much as you might think.
    Anything below the load has minimal effect on the tune while anything above the coil has a drastic effect on the tune.
    Adding 4 feet below the coil doesn't drastically affect the tune. An inch or two off the top usually brings it back to resonance.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  8. jessejamesdallas

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'm going by my dealings with the Predator 10K antenna's...Example: A single-coil Predator 10K with lets say a 12" lower shaft tunes at around 7'...a single-coil 10K with a 22" lower shaft also tunes at around 7'...The difference is the stinger get's shorter with the longer lower shafts, but the over-all height of the antenna stays fairly close to the same...might be a inch or more in height difference, but not much.

Now...go changing the number of turns in the coil, then there's a pretty significant change in the over-all height...by adding just two more turns of coil can drop the height of the antenna by a foot.

He didn't say how long the original shaft was...I'm assuming it's either 5" or 10" because those are the two most popular shaft lengths with the Wilson 2000...going from 5" to 36" is a pretty big jump.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Results will be drastically different when comparing the changes on the mirror arm of a truck as opposed to a sheet metal roof of a car or suv.
    Maybe ground potential makes the change more drastic?
    Better ground = less change
    Worse ground = more change?

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.