White smoke

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by cntyline, Nov 6, 2017.

1. cntyline

cntyline Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2010
    indianapolis,in
    What should the cylinder pressure be in a 3406e 6ts... and how low is too low before it won't ignite the fuel there for having unburned fuel smell and white smoke and missing out..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mikey ppppp

Mikey ppppp Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2018
    I have a Nissan UD which had costic soda25% put in diesel tank got about 1km stopped etc
    I’ve was working on cleaning it out, turning it over that day and think me cutting the lines and primed diesel out of a cup and turned over, replaced fuel filter rinsed and refitted tank and besides having to prime the plunger it seemed ok until yesterday and started belowing our white smoke and running rough!?
    Some advice on steps forward would be greatly appreciated

4. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    That caustic soda probably stripped all the built up deposits off the inside of the fuel lines on the clean side of the filter, and went on to plug the injectors.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Take a eye and hand onto your intercooler clamps first. There is a big air intake that goes through a cooler before feeding turbo. If the engine is running and one of those screwdriver metal ring clamps are loose that is a kind of leaking INTO the feed air that ruins the engine's ability to run well. (Usually when this happens at speed, It pours out 2 miles worth of inky black smoke that covers everything in brown and derates to like 20 hp.

White smoke? I only expect to see that at about -10 or so. I don't know where you are but this is high summer. I don't know any place that's -10 right now.

Blue smoke on start up means she's cold.

But what do I know? All this emissions crap they piled on the trucks today means there shouldnt be anything coming out of that stack except hot air.

6. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Did you read the part about his fuel tank being contaminated with caustic soda?

7. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Just a thought - you say you rinsed the tank. With water? It's possible that water was left in the tank, and eventually made its way into the fuel system?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.