who are these guys that use channel 6?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by truckerdave1970, Apr 26, 2010.

1. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Classics!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Revere_&_the_Raiders

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Chances are what you were hearing was skip, where the signals bounce around in the ionosphere and land several hundred miles away. However you can talk skip even on a stock 4 watt radio. You'll know when skip is rolling when the radio sounds real noisy.

Good question...not sure why. Notice the users of channel 6 also talk real fast too.

4. hooknbook

hooknbook Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2010
    NJ
    I got some good skip today during a thunderstorm, was in Florida and got talk from california and new mexico, sounded legitimate too, as i know the roads in NM very well. Of course whenever there is skip out there, no matter what channel you are on, those channel 6 idiots come out of the woodwork and start rambling. Longest skip i ever had was washington state when i was in maryland, but i had a real good radio then, now the cobra 29 that came installed on my company truck can't really get out that well in skip, i can hear them, they can't hear me. Anyone have some long distance skip stories...

5. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    "I know a guy that was a guitar player in a band called Paul Revere and the Raiders in the sixties and is now an O/O trucker after pissing away most of his money on BS."

That was our Highschool band of choice .... Class of 67 that is ....

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida

10/11 Meters has been in good shape this last week SSB was strong on 28.400 and the New York 29.620 mhz repeater can be heard here in Tampa dawn to dusk ... the DX gods are happy.

7. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    My longest contact to date would probably be from Waco, TX (Pilot) to Australia on 11m SSB with a RCI 2970DX driving a Magna Force 600 (straight 4-pill)....I've also talked into Brazil a bunch of times from TX as well..I don't log contacts or count the miles I'm just going off memory here !!

8. Turbo-T

May 31, 2009
    I once talked from Missouri to Florida and Georgia on a Uniden PC68LTW 40 channel radio and a 102 whip antenna....no amp or heat at all. That was during skip.

Another time I talked to someone in Canada from Missouri. I was on an SS158EDX. Can't remember my antenna.

Those are my 2 bests. I don't really talk on the radio much anymore. it was cool the few times there was someone to talk to.

9. slicknick27

slicknick27 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Why folks get so upset that someone has a "HOBBY" not killin stealin doin drugs or anything but but be in the comfort of there home having a bit fun why folks are like that these days #### ppl!!!!

landstar8891 Thanks this.
  10. Turbo-T

May 31, 2009
    There's nothing wrong with having a hobby....until it starts interfering with others.

The ones who splatter across the band and cause issues for others trying to talk elsewhere, rank right up there with the Harley Davidson bikers who decide to fire up the loud pipes and crack the throttle wide open, at 4 a.m.

11. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    That's usually a good sign when you can hear the Super Bowl channel coming in on Am those guys can be heard over in Ireland well into the evening time '11 metre band has been good this past week I've made it out to the Midwest Central Illinois Missouri on radio power ranger rci 2950 dx sirio performer whip and mag mount I work between 27.385 and 27.555 lsb

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.