Who caused this collision? With Poll

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tucker, May 29, 2017.

Who caused the collision?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2018.
  1. The merging truck

84 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. The camera truck

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Both of them

49 vote(s)
    32.2%
  4. Swift

29 vote(s)
    19.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ok, after a few seconds, the camera truck should have realized the merging truck is an idiot, and they clearly aren't going to give, and are probably getting madder and madder so the camera truck should have slowed more to let them in. Sometimes, you have to take the law in your own hands. Hanging in that right lane on a 3 lane with entrance ramps is asking for trouble.

rank, Toothpick1, mitrucker and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    The merging truck. Another bonehead who thinks mirrors are decorations with no Plan B coming down an onramp.

The law which is the same in all the lower 48 although the word for word may vary:

"When entering a limited access roadway, vehicles are required to merge so as to not impede mainlane traffic or yield the right of way."

This law applies to every vehicle regardless how many wheels are under that vehicle. Although 99.9% of us will do our best to move over to help another driver get up to speed on a ramp there are times we're blocked and can't do anything. The merging driver must use the mirror and be ready to back down if the right lane traffic cannot get over.

By the same token, it would be nice if more of us would pay attention if we're in the left lane and passing approaching an onramp so as not to trap the other truck in the right lane. Exits with truck stops often have other trucks coming down the ramp. Have a bit of consideration and don't be a dick; its not always all about you!

Frank

rank, RockinChair, Reddot and 7 others Thank this.
  4. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Whatched video , then looked on topic where people want to group up and protest again ELD...
    Ywar right you have 2 selfish guys who had problem to share the lane, and you want to prove to someone that truckers nice to each other, good people etc, not wonder why Walmart have no "truck park " sings everywhere

Dave_in_AZ and Snailexpress Thank this.
  5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    So Prime slowed to 45 and then decided it was time to maintain a constant speed?

If you're going to slow down for someone to merge you do it early and never get close enough that they can 't be sure of your intentions or their ability to get in front of you. And give 'em a flash of the lights if they seem to hesitate.

rank, Hammer166, Friday and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    1) Get the big picture.
    2) Leave yourself an out.
    3) Make sure they see you.

They both are fired as soon as they get back to the terminal if it's up to me.

rank, Big Don, Blackshack46 and 6 others Thank this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I don't know if I'd fire them but I sure would want to hear what they had to say about what they did. Both drivers bear some fault here.
    Dick measuring contests have no place or purpose out on the road. If the drivers couldn't see that or disagreed with that...yeah, they'd be looking for new jobs.

rank, 201, tinytim and 3 others Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I voted both of them [equally]. I assume the Prime truck INITIALLY thought his best bet would be to maintain speed and allow the truck to fall in behind since there was open space behind him. However, I think it quickly became apparent the merging truck had no intention of falling in behind, so I feel at that moment, the Prime truck failed to make any significant effort to slow down to try and reduce risk potential. Then again, the other truck made no effort to abort the merge as it was ultimately his requirement to do so. Sometime you just have to abort a merge altogether, bad a proposition as that may seem. But given the van truck was light or MT, I don't know why this decision did not come early on

It was obvious the Prime truck was empty and everybody new this by sight. F The van truck, it could be argued, Prime might should have assumed he was heavy, and cut him some slack by slowing down. But it became apparent they both had "the race is on" on their mind. Not sure if the van was heavy or underpowered, but was obviously in no condition to enter any drag races or games of chicken.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    rank, 201 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    The video says Prime slowed to 45 to allow the truck to merge on, but then the merger slowed back down, and then gunned it.

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    We all deal with situations or variances of similar situations a dozen times a day. Everyone could get in an accident / incident before breakfast if we drive aggressively.

201, sealevel and tinytim Thank this.
  11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Kill 'em both and let God sort it out.

Lepton1, Big Don, mitrucker and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.