Who is liable?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by dixie3fan, Sep 21, 2017.

1. dixie3fan

dixie3fan Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    First I'm not in the trucking business.

I sold a piece of heavy machinery to an of state buyer to which the buyer asked me to pay for the hauling. I used a website to solicit bids. I chose a bidder with positive reviews and a website that shows DOT numbers and MC numbers and a google search shows the company has 3 trucks. As I have found out later the company I chose turned around and rebooked my load on another website through a different company name. A truck shows up and hauls my load away and everything is delivered. I get an invoice from the company I chose thru the website and I pay it. I have receipts.

3 months later I get a call from a debt collection agency saying the company that booked to the carrier did not pay the carrier. And is no longer in business. Also the company I contracted thru is also out of business since apparently they are the same person with multiple business names. I say sorry I paid and he says I'm still liable.

Bill of lading indicates where the machine was located naming my business and address. But it does Not list me as the shipper. It also list the buyer of the machine and his address and as consigned to. And he has signed the Bill of Lading. I don't think I have ever seen the Bill of Lading and my signature is not on it.

How much power does the debt collector have and am I liable. I don't feel like I should have to pay twice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    I suspect that you would be better off getting "lawyer advice" than "trucker advice".

4. CleverNDGuy

CleverNDGuy Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Bakken Basin
    ⬆That was a nice swift intelligent answer and the case is closed.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Was it thru u-ship?

6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Ya cuz some of the advice u get here could make it worse.

7. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Yeah like....

Dont worry about it, it'll fall off your credit report in 7 years.

Seriously though. Consult a lawyer.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. dixie3fan

dixie3fan Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    No. Veritread.com I talked to veritread and they say the bidder I chose was only listed as a carrier and not as a broker.

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You gotta check with a lawyer, I believe that trucking company who actually delivered the load can still go after you, even though you paid the first company already...

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It would be ridiculous, if you paid twice.You did not scam anybody and this trucking company was not victimized by you.This should be between the trucking company and the "scam artists". No collection agency can tell you what to do, unless there is a court judgement.

11. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Tell them you allready have lawyer buy pay one any way to send drop dead letters to all of his fake co. then if they contact you after that i read somewhere that you can make them pay a fee for each time they contact you, then tell them to go pound sand,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.