Who is training the trainers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by trucknguy, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Now the pool halls are closed which was our favorite place to go after this..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I have a extended family member that went to a company for training for his CDL. Came by here and said they were trying to get him into a lease and he said, "not gonna happen". Next time he came by he was in his new lease truck. I asked him why and he said so he could be a trainer. Less than 6 months with a trainee going in winter when neither one had any trucking snow/ice experience. No wonder I 40 near Gallup is screwed up right now.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Shame on you for making a trainer think about his truck. You may have caused him more confusion than any other day in his entire 8 week trucking career. ;-)

5. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Does anyone know what is becoming of the FMCSA ELDT program? It's supposed to go into effect in 2022 that all Entry Level Driver Trainees have to go through a certified driving school. Frankly that is going to hose me as my state doesn't really recognize driving schools on a company level. We've trained every single driver for my company in the last 20 years. All passed their CDL A driver tests the first time around, but it looks like getting a CDL at your local DMV is going to dry up soon.

Looks like it's going to line the pockets of formal driving schools pretty well, maybe I should just go into that business as well.

We are going to jam through three more drivers in 2021 just so I have backup drivers from inhouse.

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  6. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Those that can, do.

Those that can't, teach.

edit: words are hard

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  7. trucknguy

trucknguy Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West coast
    Ya know the sad part was I never got to the part where I was just trying to let them know they had a significant air leak which was dangerous and possibly expensive. Hope they learn the easier way...

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I thought I asked you to keep that between us?

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I know when I took my road test to actually get my CDL, it was through the state ( Indiana ) with an official state tester.

Now, do to more emphasis on safety, the mega's have their own testers.:biggrin_2554:

JBHunt was my second job. I'll never forget the backing test. Pretty standard " Put it in the hole." There was a girl that hit the one trailer 3 times. 4th time was a charm. Approved!

10. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    I was parked next to a CRST Expedited rig in central Cali a while back, air drier was popping every 12 to 15 seconds, and I am not kidding, I counted it. The person in the passenger seat, who I assumed was the spouse of the driver, was throwing her trash out the window, while ignoring the trash can about 100 feet away. Of course, she was tossing her trash, corn dog leftovers, all sorts of trash, right below my driver side steps.

So, hey, CRST, guess why we call you Crusty?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.