Who makes the best engine for 2008 and beyond?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by kenwortht660, May 18, 2008.

1. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I don't know about down there, but up here we have a lot of politicians talking about more rail use. However, like most things politicians talk about, most of it won't amount to more than a lot of hot air. It makes them look like they are concerned about the environment, so it makes for good sound bites on the supper hour news broadcast. Usually it's the politicians that have no stake in things (i.e., not in office) that are the loudest ... funny how they change their tune once they're elected.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. savage02

savage02 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Upstate, NY
    Also (backtracking a bit) the Mercedez engines are being phased out by Detroit in favor of the DD13, which is basically a shrunken down version of the DD15. It should be available spring of 2009 then the DD16 spring of 2010.

4. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Volvo claims to have good results with the D13 engine. Most new VNL670's in truckpaper have it along with the ISX. Anyone have good vibes about the ISX?

Hunter

5. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    OK its just that most welders I have seen just weld and use a torch.Some that work on equipment have to idle for air comp. and cranes.I have a 6.0Lover 100,000 miles no trouble But its an 2004 I dont want a new one Ford Chevy or Dodge to much junk on them.

6. Highballin

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    So true. Here in Texas a lot of rails have been taken up Most thats used now are main lines.Most of the land has been sold so It would take lots of money to get them all back in service.

7. Highballin

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    A lot of the loggers around here used to be die hard Mack men now they are buying other trucks.There was a Mack Rep.at Lufkin Loggers Show said Mack would soon take over oilfield an logging again lighter weight better fuel milage.But they will tell you anything about their product.

8. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I think it would help if they could make there trucks keep running when a tail light goes out

9. Highballin

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    Tail lite would pump oil then:biggrin_2559:

10. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Has anyone noticed on the new ISX Cummins how that the intake for the air compressor comes off of the venturi behind the exhaust recirculation line so the compressor and air system gets full of exhaust. This has to be the most retarded thing I have seen on the new engines. As far as running goes I have no complaints about the ISX.

11. maxeffort

maxeffort Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2008
    central, MA
    The CAT engine will last. Most of their technology is way ahead as they have partnered with Argone national research labs on emissions technology. The CAT cooled and filtered EGR will cause far less engine wear than hot unfiltered EGR everyone else is using and having EGR problems with.

You will see that engines running hot unfiltered EGR will not last as long as they used to.

CAT has two problems: One is they outsmarted themselves with a very complicated DPF regenerative system. This is the pain in the butt folks are talking about and that system will be simplified more like a Cummis DPF regenerative set up. I have heard CAT is standing behind the product 100% as usual.

The other is that OEM's all want their own branded engine and there may not be a chassis for a CAT.

This is the biggest problem looming for CAT. They have discussed partnerships with Navistar and others. They have considered producing/Marketing a truck themselves.

I wonder how CAT, Cummins and Detroit will do. They have been good competitors and overall a good choice of products for the industry. Now the OEM's want to be more like an automakers with their own engines.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.