Who repairs diesel fuel pumps at truck stops when they break down?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by expedite_it, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    99% of the time it's just cause the fuel filters haven't been changed in forever, or some genius that makes the big mega carrier money has destroyed the card reader.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Or, like at the Pilot in Council Bluffs, just run over the thing.

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    In Texas there are a few service companies. They are the same companies that usually install them at new constructed stations or replacements at old ones. Texas Dept of Agriculture controls and licenses the fuel pumps in the state and does random calibration tests from time to time so the companies have to be approved and certified to set them.

5. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If you’ve ever had a pump “jump” after turning it on. Where it displays an amount before it comes out. You can call the Tx Ag number on the seal of the pump and report it. If they get enough calls they will come and inspect the calibration to make sure the pump isn’t charging you for air.

6. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Fuel stations won’t tell you this but sometimes when they are shut down at least in Texas is because they failed a random pump calibration test.

7. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Could someone translate for me that first sentence he wrote?

8. Yank the Tank

Yank the Tank Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2022
    Fuel hauler here; I’ve talked to some of pump maintenance men and they tell me it’s a lot of school and different certifications in the beginning, followed by a lot of on the job training. Many don’t make it, but those that do tell me they like their salary.

It’s not as easy an many make it out to be, fuel pumps ain’t like they were in the 1960s.

Nowadays if you look at the front of the pump you’ll see a lock; if you’re ever there when they open them up you’ll see a lot of
    wires and circuit boards, the techs gotta know what does what and how to diagnose and fix it. There is also the computer often called a veeder root in the back that keeps inventory, as well as the credit card readers, and many new pumps
    have hi def screens running ads with beer cans and hot models to not only try to get you to buy that product, but they are clearly designed to keep your eyes on the screen so you’ll keep on pumping til it’s full.

9. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    What school do they go to to learn how to repair fuel pumps?

10. Yank the Tank

Yank the Tank Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2022
    I’m not sure if it’s community college or company sponsored type thing, maybe a bit of both. Think the only downside is they are on call a lot. They usually drive white vans and cone off the area they are working on, I’ve had to do station pump outs while they waited for me as they needed the tank empty and most of the pumps cut off with a few inches of product still in the tank.

11. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I was repeating what the guy wrote in the post above mine, the ^^^^ are pointing to the post I was referring to. And OTJ, On Job Training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.