Who to work for...need advice

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by truckin916, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Check with Crete. That company also pays practical, plus it's an overall great company to work for. At least for now it is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Yeah I check with Crete first, they want 6 months experience first. They just don't hire out of my school I guess it needs the PDTI certification which, as far as I know, no CA school have it (from the PDTI website).

4. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    You guys are mind readers! I did apply at both Gordon and Interstate and the both shot me down. Funny, since I have a spotless background with my DMV record, never a criminal charge in my life and I left all employers on great terms. I left my last employer in 2003 and took 14 months off to play golf and enjoy my family, because I could...then went to college from 1/2005 to 5-2007. Apparently I didn't clarify with good enough reason my 14 months off and they didn't like that. I guess its not okay to take time off? Dunno, but at any rate they don't want me for whatever reason. I even gave them my college transcripts showing my 3.9 GPA. I don't get it to be honest but whatever, not much I can do.
    I have an interview today with Schneider but I really hate that they pay household miles, the only thing really I can see that is a downer. They seem to be an okay company to start with and they just increased their pay scale.

5. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    916.... Sorry to here that , it doesn't make a lot of sense. Sounds like you gotta go with who ever will take you. Well good luck

6. sweeze

sweeze Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes they really seem to be overly gun shy. The guy who teaches truck driving here at the community college said that its because they don't want to invest all that money in you (don't what he means by all that money, its not like they are paying for your schooling) with a trainer just to have you up and leave.

I am in the same position as you. I quit a job of 15 years that I was owner of then went to school for 2 years. I have had 3 jobs in the last 3 years cuz I was just sort of drifting... didnt like the field of study I chose. Good dmv and no felonies.

I called the recruiter at Interstate and explained my situation. He asked if I had been a homemaker. Apparently they think that's ok. I said that no I really hadn't been. He said he really just couldnt use me then and to go work for Swift for 6 months then get back to them. So if you want to work there, you can try again after you put in some time with someone else. Its sort of a slap in the face tho. Even tho your not a felon they sure treat you like one. I have since decided that I dont really think I care for Interstate anymore.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.