Who's had a DOT audit? I have a question?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by revelation1911, Feb 8, 2012.

1. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    The title may confuse some. I'm not talking about a new entrant safety audit. I'm talking about where they come to look at logbooks and all.
    I read here about companies being fined for logbooks and just wonder how they get in this situation? Aren't you supposed to check the logbooks before filing them away? And if by chance there was something that didn't agree with everything else why would you even have it? To me it would appear that anything negative on a audit would be self-inflicted.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Typically when a carrier discovers a violation, they do a "write-up" to inform the driver and possibly impose disciplinary action. This protects them in case of an audit. A violation is a violation and it can't be made to "go away", so an auditor expects to see some violations and errors, but also wants to see where the carrier is monitoring their drivers and logs and is trying to be pro-active in preventing future violations. It is blatant and frequent falsification issues that an auditor won't tolerate. (A solo driver going on break in Rawlins and starts the next day in Green River for example ... although those entries probably weren't "false" in actuality ... his truck magically transported itself while he was sleeping)

Besides, many small carriers (especially private carriers) never even bother to "look over" logs, and simply make sure there are no day gaps and file them away. These will find themselves in big trouble if an aggressive auditor comes in. Even with advance notice, it's virtually impossible to scan x number of drivers logs for 12+ months inside of a week and "correct violations".

4. oilfieldtrash

oilfieldtrash Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Jones,Oklahoma
    No need to scan 12+ months worth of logs. You only have to have to keep the last 6 months.

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Over the years i've had five compliance review audits. When they look at logs they will want fuel card reports with days and times. They will look for scale tickets,weigh station reports on times crossed and anything that shows where you were at a certain time. When they pick the drivers to audit they usually have a reason. They have documentation as to where they were at certain times. They can and will contact shippers/recievers for in/out times. If the auditor is at all aggressive they will most likely find some violations.

6. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Thats about what I would have thought. I don't use fuel cards that are time stamped. everything I have prety much just has dates and thats it.
    I make sure all inspection and logs match. No prepass or anything like that.
    I try and keep a smooth paper trail. Now I can see if you have more than a few trucks that could be a problem. How many trucks you have? And why so many audits or should I ask how many years you been in business?

7. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    About 35 years with company and O/O's and a few company's back into regulation times.. Many of those were hauling swinging out and produce back. That will put you on everyones radar. Always managed to achieve a satisfactory rating,but have had some hefty fines also.
    Even if you pay cash they can get what date/time that ticket was printed in most cases. Pay by debit/dredit card and they will require card statements. You want them knowing every time/place you use a card? It that all going to match? Cross a scale and get entered into the system,they have that time. If you are the only driver then deep down you know if you ever"fudge"anything.
    Have an inspection that showed a write up(not just oos)better have a repair order showing it fixed. Not two weeks later when you get around to it. You can write on the inspection driver repaired for say a light,won't fly for say changing a tire out. If you're written up and repair a few days later do you write it up on your inspection?
    DQ files,make sure any/all drug tests are"secure". Kind off weird if you're the only one but needs to be done anyway. Make sure you pull an annual dmv and complete the review. Keep informed of any new regulations pertaining to DQ files and update as needed.
    Make sure you have some sort of log auditing system(miles,check bol's ect)again weird if you're the only one.
    There is a wealth of info out there that can put you someplace at a certain date/time.

8. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    I put all my own tires on. I have a jack wrench and tools.
    I drove tire truck for years before this.
    I see a few areas I could improve upon.
    I was told more than likely here in Al. I'd never see them again
    unless I had lots of write ups/ accidents or fatalities.
    I just read all these guys complaining about audits and fines.
    I figure if I'm proactive in makingh the dots contect I'm better off.

9. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    What i meant with the tires,you would have a hard time convincing an auditor that you changed it in a parking lot. Now if you could take them out to the truck and show everything needed to do it in the truck would be no problem. If you waited two weeks to get home and then repair something it is a problem. Just because it's not an OOS doesn't mean that you can get it repaired at your leisure. That is one thing they look at and is easy to spot.
    They can come at any time for any reason,you don't have to get write up's/oos,accidents. If you get complacent it can come back and bite you in the #####.
    As i said,you know what you are doing. There are things that can be covered,but most can be found if they want to.
    Most cases you need to have a certain percentage of violations to what is checked to get fined or conditional/unsatisfactory rating. Only exception is D/A violations.
    Something to remember is that they can/do use IFTA records. IFTA show's say 100,000 miles for the year and maintainence show's 120,000 they are going to dig deeper.
    Logs use a simple program like DDL(not advertising)and some kind of mileage program. You need to show that you are auditing your logs.Again weird with just you driving.
    It goes a long way if you can show that you are really trying. Let them find something that you have hidden and it all goes out the window.

10. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    I already use same milages for everything, I use PC miler to figure it and match it with logbook pages whichever is higher it's always within 3%.
    I don't put milages on vehicle maintanance files as it's not required.
    This is where I get that::

(2) A means to indicate the nature and due date of the various inspection and maintenance operations to be performed;

The means I use is that when my truck oil is to add mark I change it at soonest oppurtunity and check it over then and use dates only.
    I am still working on this file. I operated a shop before this and find it easier to perform the work than keep as good written records of it.
    I have reread some of the regukations since you made mention of them.
    They have to give you a little advance warning but not much and you can take up to two busoness days to produe what they ask for. I did read that vehicle maintanance record retention is only a year and six months after vehicle leaves, I thought I had read three years maybe it changed.
    lot of useless paperwork to run a truck up and down the road

11. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    Unless someone is hiding something there would be no reason to not have all repairs/maintainence records in a file,you would do that for tax purposes. Don't give them a reason to think you're hiding anything. There is a minimum requirement for DOT,that is all you have to provide. Best course of action in an audit is to at least appear that everything is availible for inspection.
    You do have a time period to produce documents,a one truck operation should not have to take a day or two to produce something. The longer they are there the more time they have to dig around.
    Out of the five i've had only one auditor was all business. The other's would point out areas to improve,even give suggestions on ways to improve. One joked around so much i hated to see her go. As driver's came in she would badge them and say she wanted to talk to them in private. Talk about the deer in headlight look. It was hilarious to watch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.