Who's sets up these appointments?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Voorhees84, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    My dispatcher is a young kid but I do have multiple dispatchers depending on which side of the country Im on.
    But they are just intelligent and care about their drivers.

easytopleez33 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Anyone with common sense sees a 500 mile trip into a major California city will take longer than 1 shift.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  4. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015
    There is a Pilot down there off of Piper Ranch Rd.
    Maybe a stretch, but, you might find a spot on a Sunday there.
    Otherwise if you got a Tuesday drop, you could get in on Monday morning, lot clears out and find a spot. Leave first thing Tuesday.
    It's kind of a Dive, but, what isn't in Cali.

Oxbow and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I see a lot of these appointments. If the ELD mandate were truly abided by everybody, they would have been gone by now, but they are still there.
    The only way to do it legally or "subject to debate whether it would be legal" is to go to the receiver and check in before the 14th hour mark and then when empty leave on a personal conveyance, but only if completely empty, free of any consequent dispatch orders.

6. easytopleez33

Jan 6, 2015
    How does a guy, find out more about this "personal conveyance" I keep hearing so much about?
    We're on Peoplenet, and have been for 2 years (not impressed) and I have yet to see a line 5 for this.
    What does it entail and how does one use it legally?
    I'm asking because it would sure come in handy, for just such an occasion, that you just spoke of.
    Thank You

7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It should be on FMSCA website with some guidelines and examples. It is really meant to allow you to use your truck as a personal vehicle while off duty. For example, during your 34 hour reset so you can move around without having to rent a car. It must be sanctioned by your carrier first and they have to turn it on from their administrative settings. Although leaving a receiver while empty on Personal Conveyance is a gray area, a subject to interpretation and debate. I would use it very sparingly, only if I had no choice, but it may not be approved of by some DOT officials. It does not go on line 5....it is showing on line 1 as off duty, but it must be marked as Personal Conveyance or PC.

8. easytopleez33

Jan 6, 2015
    Well, I will certainly look into it my friend.
    The Grey Area LOL Is the part where I am the very most interested. HAHAHA
    Must be a mileage restriction, and I wonder if you have to be BobTail?
    Anyway, I will, get with my DM, and approach him.
    Thank You, for the info!!

9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Well. To make things more interesting, as of yet, there is no mileage restriction...nothing says that you can't go 1000 miles on PC. ;)
    Oh you can have a trailer but it better be empty.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In my time it meant that you had a card in your wallet able to runabout when empty. Inaddition to another card that relieved you of responsibility when the vehicle is parked legally and you are off duty.

Today's ELD systems need a line 5 for you to run about in PC without violating everything. Since your system does not possess a line 5 you don't have PC.

It is a real problem because the FMCSA has always allowed for PC as stated by TallJoe.

I am not trying to confuse the issue. What I see is a real problem when everyone flooded the halls of our Capitol and made the ELD mandate happen but did not think things through. One part of me says ha. So typical. The other part of me says what a waste.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive bobtailed a thousand and change some weekends. Does not take that long. And especially with a little cash in the back pocket for a splash of fuel now and then so that the company does not detect where that truck has been when we are supposed to be off. He he.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.