Who's sets up these appointments?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Voorhees84, Mar 11, 2018.

1. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015
    I'm aware of the old days shenanigans we used to play out here on the road. LOL
    But, since this ELD has a GPS tracking device that knows where I am within 10 feet anywhere in the country, and at anytime, in addition to that, they know exactly where I am at on Hours. It's not likely their going to be too forethcoming in letting me drive 1000 miles ( maybe more like 200) on Personal Conveyance, Line 5, or what have you.
    If they allow this PC , you have to know it will be Used and Abused.
    That's the down side to any legislation they try to implement.
    But, for what I do and where I go, it would sure be handy.
    If for no other reason then to get out of the city before the morning or evening rush hour.
    Thanks Bud!!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    My company will let me PC if need be to make it home for my home time if need be so I'm not stuck couple hours from home...also company has to allow PC in order for you eld to have the option.

easytopleez33 Thanks this.
  4. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Ok, that's great, but, my concern is, if your under dispatch, with a load on.
    I don't see how you can lawfully do this. Whether your company gives you the go-ahead or not.
    If you, the driver, get stopped and your out of hours. You, will be cited for it.
    I'm not following how you can be on PC with a Dispatched Load on?
    This must be that Grey Area? LOL IDK
    OK, I'm out, Take er Easy Fellers!!

p608 Thanks this.
  5. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    That safety guy Rick Goble I think on road dog said they recently took the ''laden'' part out of the legislation.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well.. I think somewhere between the thousand mile spring break south of the winterland... and the 200 mile setting up as necessary would need a compromise of some sort.

If I loaded in Nogales and the TTT was the closest ordinary truckstop with full services to stage out of that's probably a good distance, whatever it is. It would not be a 1000 mile PC junket, but rather a very useful part of being able to preposition as necessary to get things done.

If the ELD did have a good generous PC situation for everyone, Im pretty sure the trucking will be.. sort of loosened up enough so that we can (Who is this we?) actually get things done.

I am well aware of the so called 10 feet away and in violation, I am actually horrified by such a situation now. Its not acceptable. We are not dogs sitting on the short chain at the beck and call of Uncle Sam.

7. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    I'm empty when I use it

easytopleez33 Thanks this.
  8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    This isn't exactly true. I've never seen a paper logbook with a line 5. You simply log line 1 off duty when on personal conveyance.

"Question 26: If a driver is permitted to use a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) for personal reasons, how must the driving time be recorded?

Guidance:

a driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work, time spent traveling from a driver’s home to his/her terminal (normal work reporting location), or from a driver’s terminal to his/her home, may be considered off-duty time. Similarly, time spent traveling short distances from a driver’s en route lodgings (such as en route terminals or motels) to restaurants in the vicinity of such lodgings may be considered off-duty time. The type of conveyance used from the terminal to the driver’s home, from the driver’s home to the terminal, or to restaurants in the vicinity of en route lodgings would not alter the situation unless the vehicle is laden. A driver may not operate a laden CMV as a personal conveyance. The driver who uses a motor carrier’s Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) for transportation home, and is subsequently called by the employing carrier and is then dispatched from home, would be on-duty from the time the driver leaves home.

A driver placed out of service for exceeding the requirements of the hours of service regulations may not drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) to any location to obtain rest."

Regulations Section

TallJoe Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have never said paper logs have a line 5. There is no line 5 anywhere in paper logs.

I am referring specifically to ELD SYSTEMS. Not paper logs.

The reason for line 5 on ELD systems for PC without time penalty or violation incurred when moving a semi truck 10 feet while supposedly off duty. The law makers and engineers software design always screw something up and leave out Personal Conveyance which is very common in my time. Plus repositioning while empty for purposes of fuel, food, and sometimes a third place that contains a courier box to get the paperwork back to the HQ.

10. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I understand that but one can still use the PC exemption with an ELD just as if they were still on paper by logging line 1. There is no need for a special line 5 option to use it.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    See, the dilemma here is whether you can consider yourself to be off duty right after you are unloaded and the BOL is signed. In my attempt to make logical conclusion,. I'd say yes, but still it is open for interpretation, as there is no mention of it in the guidance.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.