Why 60,000 miles & or 3-4 months training?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by _Nvy_, Jun 3, 2009.

1. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Are they making you go through the CDL instruction, even though you already have one?

Thats a whole seperate 3-4 weeks from the 60k... thats 100 hours minnimum driving with the instructor next to them and after they pass their CDL test Prime credits the student with 10k towards that 60k

Training portion is doing the job... day to day... different shippers and recievers... types of freight. Paperwork. Logs. Driving situation, conditions, and terrain. Rural, Suburban, and Urban.... trip planning, time management. Safety. Load securement and safety. Claims.

Sounds like you had excellent training, and its probably why Prime takes CDL graduates from your school and not others...

I dont know how to anymore justify the necessity of the training to ya. Ironpony did it.. I did it.. others do it.

In your case, there is only two ways around completing the 60k.

1. Go somewhere else with a shorter training period... get a year under your belt, and then come to Prime and attend the 3 day orientation and get your truck.

2. Again go somewhere else with a shorter training period... get a couple months of experiance... then, and this part is the gamble, Prime will assign you a reduced training milage based on your months of experiance and a driver evaluation. (I have seen guys with 3-4 months tank their evaluation and still get assigned 60k)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    To me you sound like a dream trainee from the description of your school.

Somebody that a trainer wouldnt have to fret over all that much.

As youve read elsewhere there are some bad trainers out there... vice versa I know a few trainers who have had some horrible trainees.

Ive been reading reports from a guy doing his trainee miles... He has 55k as of May 30... and he got his CDL March 20... he didnt get along with his first trainer and got a new one, and took a couple days at home...that can slow you down a little. Im guessing if not this week but next week he will be done.

4. txranger28

txranger28 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey guys, I'm a CDL holder and recent graduate from a driving school here in Baltimore. I sent my application to Prime, they reviewed it and gave me a pre-hire. I'm scheduled for Orientation in Pittston, PA on June 15th.

My recruiter told me that Prime opened the doors to students at the end of March and the window of opportunity will be closing very soon.

Hope this helps. If you're a CDL holder and want to go with Prime, I suggest you try ASAP.

5. _Nvy_

_Nvy_ Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    No i dont have to do training all over again just whatever the initial days stuff is and class room stuff i think maybe and then hit the road,im not sure i have never done this before,im just heading there blind basically,lol. Young lady (Prime Recruiter) knows i have my cdl and she basically said to come down,do my paperwork when i arrive and the 10th at 7am is my first day of class then a day or 2 after that ill be hittin the road with a trainer........

6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You'll be starting as a C-seat - that means you go out with a trainer immediately. Student drivers who go to Prime to get their CDLs start as student drivers with a permit, and are assigned to an instructor. They get 10,000 miles of instruction, and start out as D-seats. Then they get another 50,000 miles with a trainer before, they too, can upgrade to A-seat.

Trust me... there's a heck of a lot more to running a truck as a business (whether that's as a company driver, lease-op or owner-op) than what is taught in a CDL school - whether it's at Prime or otherwise. That 60,000 miles of experience is invaluable - it's serious training that every driver should get - think of it as being an apprentice. Like I said... I've seen a lot of new drivers out here struggling - with the basic stuff that's taught in CDL school.

7. channel 19

channel 19 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    michigan
    u 2 i been reading your iron pony threads on here for some time i am amazed how much good information you guys put out . is there a time you guys just see the same question over over. im lookin prime myself cant go right know due the fact to taking care personal issues .also the people you meet on here after awhile see them out on the road or at miillenium building cause i see people on here i dont know if there ther're or not

8. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Yup... see the same questions all the time. Answer them all the time too.

Oh yeah... meet folks from the various forums occaisionally. Ran across U2 one afternoon in Sturbridge MA.

9. Adam491

Adam491 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Keene, NH
    The New England Truckstop in Sturbridge perhaps? Not a bad lil place, I live about an hour from there.

10. _Nvy_

_Nvy_ Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Rescheduled for the 1st of July, I have a very important appt. concerning my ex & my daughter i HAVE to attend,no way out. So I'm VERY disappointed about this as i am looking very much forward to pursuing my new career.

Never the less i just hope things dont take a change for the worse as Prime at anytime could stop the hiring and or have an even longer waiting list on trainers & such, i just hope everything falls into place once i get down there on the first. I would love nothing more then to have a positive experience as U2 talks of regularly. Gotta admit U2, your pretty much my decision maker on all of this, how's it feel to carry such a burden? lol :biggrin_2552:

11. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Pilot... I84 x1.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.