Why ,and How this rate

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by freight-time, Dec 15, 2015.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Another option is this for the shippers that only use brokers, not truckers.
    Pay $300 to the FMCSA for a broker authority application. Then pay Pacific Financial $999 for a bond. Get your broker authority, and compete just as if you was a broker your self.
    You can broker your own truck, or pimp out some other trucker.

Fight fire with fire.

dog-c Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    True, We shouldn't have to go that route though.
    Some of these shippers,buyers,etc are almost as bad as their counterpart brokers..

I just try to steer clear from brokers altogether, Their Games,Deception, and lies will never stop..I use them to get back (assuming my customers don't have return material)...........

I feel horrible for guys doing everythinb right, Have a big heart,Run their business well, And have to succumb to the fact that their only way to operate is thru a broker.And worse yet, Not ever knowing what the Load truly paid.

4. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    What about when the market is on our side and we overcharge a broker by couple of thousand? He couldve found someone for less. Is he a "dumb" broker?

5. Flipflops

Oct 18, 2015
    Good point!!

See every carrier should also get a brokerage. Mine is coming in within few weeks. I'm going to put my lease on guys for the best loads, and I'm going to broker the rest out. If I can move 3/mile load for .98 cents/mile why not? Its not right? Is it righted market changes and every carrier wants 5/mile for that load?

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    When was the last time the market was on the carrier side? An Honest answer please.. What in 2009? Maybe till 2011...Bout it, Even then,The Brokers had confidence and were biting off 30-40% margins...Their Confidence is there, So no, The market does not dictate freight rates (with those people) ..The brokers will always make their 'margin' Good times or not. Their Motto-' A truck will move this '

How you say?? Too many Trucks, We (The Carrier) Are Not Needed. yeah, I remember the Phone ringing off the Hook, 100 times per day...But The Brokers STILL had their Rock Bottom, And would Rather Die or give the freight back to the customer rather than pay us "THEE" market rate. Those are Facts

wndrwtr Thanks this.
  7. Flipflops

Oct 18, 2015
    How about 2014 and early 2015? Why did so many guys go out and by trucks left and right? Did they think they're the ONLY ones to fr more trucks? I remember very well in 2014 quoting bubba burgers from GA to MD $4800. 20 pound frozen loads. 1p1d. You're telling me I didn't take advantage off that? Had 6 trucks a day picking it up, and dead heading back for it. Was that fair, now they're moving at $1500.

As far as giving the load back to the customers. Those are typically small time nickel and dime customers that no one really cares about. Brokers would not give a load back to the customer if that customer has worth. At times they take money from other loads to cover a load just to KEEP that customer.

I understand what it costs to run a truck. I drive, own trucks, have guys leased to me. But at times we can we ridiculous too. my plan is consistency over a quick buck, so I make sure drivers, trucks, direct customers, brokers (except TQL and landstar) are treat the best before I get my slice of the pie. Now I have customers and drivers and brokers but I can't take many because of credit and so on that will consider me reckless. That's being fair. Only good thing is at the end of the night I feel clean and sleep like a baby.

But now, market isn't as good for a lot of reason and mister truckers who demand their appointments and crazy amount of money have a nerve to say brokers are ripping them off?

Well here's advice. Park your truck. Stop hauling.

AIFS and Urziel Thank this.
  8. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    I care, I've got piles & piles of nickel & dimes.....

9. Broker Bob

Broker Bob Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2015
    That is correct I WILL make the margin, freight always needs to be moved.

10. AIFS

AIFS Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2014

I would like to chime in here stayinback and ask you a question, one that I ponder every time I start reading threads like this one. Just "how much" (in your business mind) should a broker make on a load?? Is it a simple "dollar amount" or maybe a simple "%" ????
    I would also like to hear answers from all the rest of you that think the brokers out there are: ripping carriers off, taking "too much" off the top, "bottom feeders", "cheap brokers", and etc etc!!!
    I have much more to say, but I would really like to start with this question. Thanks in advance everyone :)

11. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I get the same load list as the brokers that are sent to me everyday. Some brokers are making $50 to $150 off of each load. Ok, fair.
    And then I see military freight, engery company's and seaport freight being posted and when I call the margins of profit the brokers are making are $200 to $500.
    Pretty good money for a business that doesn't have to go anywhere

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.