Why are 18 wheelers always causing accidents?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Anonymous, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Scary, ain't it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bluegrassbandmom

bluegrassbandmom Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2006
    plainfield, indiana
    Well, scarecrow I know what you mean, back when I was 'freshly separated' from my hubby, I had to find a job that would earn some cash quick so as to not lose my house, ***, etc.. so I started working for a delivery company (lost baggage from the airport, and pharmaseutical supplies to nursing homes) well, a typical weekend for me was to pick up a load at the airport deliver to indy and north of Indy, then go south to Greenwood to the pharmacy then head up north to Ft. Wayne, Mishawaka, chicago then back to anderson, it was typical to leave at 5:00pm on Friday and by Sat morning dispatcher call and ask where are you, "cause I got a bag going to Terre Haute" not taking any break so to speak of ( a 30 minute nap north of Indy on Friday night) and got reemed for it, by the time I dropped the bag off in Terre Haute it was about 12:30am on sunday, while heading home, I made it as far as the 231 exit (about 35-45 min later) on I-70 and pulled off to sleep till about daylight then went on home, the final straw for me was when I was called at home to go to greenwood for a pickup going to clarksville, so I left right away, (I lived in stilesville at the time which was about 50 minutes away) when I was on the exit ramp at greenwood dispatcher called demanding to know why I had not left the pharmacy yet and that it should have only taken 30 mins. to get there-I was pushed one time too many and quit after that, it's a miracle that I did not kill myself or someone else while trying to make a little bit of money, and there are many more people out there doing the same, and the company I drove for (using personal vehicle) was 'wheels assured'.:frown:

4. The_Rev

The_Rev Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Englewood, FL
    I bet that dispatcher never drove anything for a living except to get back and forth to work probably a few miles and to the grocery store to feed his ever-widening belly.

5. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    All I can say is I think "EVERYONE" is in such a big hurry (including me) that we all need to slow down and all the accidents are everyone's fault!
    It is not just truck drivers killing on the road it is 4-wheelers (yeah I am one of them) that are killing on the road! SLOW DOWN AND QUIT RUSHING (I AM TRYING :smt020 )

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND ENJOY YOUR FAMILY ON THE HOLIDAYS AS WE MAY NOT HAVE ANOTHER ONE! I am having a great time so far! :king:

6. jack5

jack5 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2005
    garland,tx
    The danger with speed is not the speed itself but the differentials in speed and failing to yield the right of way,which includes moving right for a faster vehicle. The "speed kills" mantra that has been preached over the years doesn't have any merit. But I agree,it is never a good idea to get in a hurry.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE.

7. ladytrucker101

ladytrucker101 Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2006
    I wish that would make it mandatory that to get your license to drive anything...and I mean two-wheeler or four...they should have to ride in a big truck for one week min. Now I know this is unrealistic, but imagine what some of these idiots would learn. I know they do it with some DOT's and RCMP's in Canada and they come out with a new appreciation for what we do out here.

8. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

I just had to make a comment about avoiding the accident comment. I know many times the truck driver suffers just as much if not more for avoiding an accident because there is now no proof of who's fault it really was if the accident doesn't happen. So cars if we cause a trucker to avoid hitting us, chances is if you don't stop and stand up they will not have a job!

I am a 4-wheeler myself and I vouch we are all bad (I mentioned this above in another post) WE ARE ALL TO BLAME! We all have control over what we do! HURRY HURRY WORLD THAT'S WHAT WE ARE!:headbang: ( just had to add the humor of the smiley guy to lighten it up a little)

The best thing to do is stay away from the truck driver on the road and truck drivers stay off the 4-wheelers but to and we will all get along just fine!:occasion5:

9. the-waco-kid

the-waco-kid Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2006
  10. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Exactly watch for the crazy "DRIVERS" and do what you think is right!
    Don't ag (sp?) it on, or you may end up dead over something so freaken stupid (even though the other driver was careless). Maybe they don't care about dieing in a vehicle but you should! I bet most accidents happen due to speeding (hurrying once again, thanks to USA), road rage (hurrying once again, someone's in the way) and CELL PHONES! How many people do you see in the fast lane (going 50) because they think they are being safe by slowing down on the phone(duh!) GET OFF THE FREAKEN PHONE, CALL THEM WHEN YOU GET HOME! My family doesn't get why I get grouchy when they call and I am in the middle of rush hour traffic, say what you gotta say and I will get all the BS when I get home or somewhere safe to park! Ok I am done, I am sorry I went on a typing rage! ####

11. jtilton1963

jtilton1963 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2006
    in the words of Ron White- you cant fix STUPID!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.