Why are 18 wheelers always causing accidents?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Anonymous, Dec 19, 2004.

1. JL

JL Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2005
    I know some drivers are not ready to accept this yet but how about black boxes in ALL vehicles? Then maybe ALL people would drive better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    I have a news flash for you...The majoraty of the trucks on the road alredy have a "black box" it's called a qual-com. Not only is it used to track a truck via satalite but also gives direction and speed of a specific truck at any one time.

http://www.qualcomm.com/qwbs/resource/resourcelib_casestdy.shtml

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

About 3 pm this afternoon, barely three hours ago, I was hauling a load down !-94 in Michigan at the Paw Paw exit heading east. A car was coming out of the exit, so I moved over a lane to go past him. I passed, then returned to my lane. He accelerated into the outside lane, passed me, then with absolutely no warning and no signals, made a lane change in front of me when he had barely 8 foot of clearance past the front of my truck. having done this, he now pulls his foot off the throttle and lets the car slow down! Only thing that prevented this from being an accident was me and my skills and alertness. I slowed dramatically, hit the horn, and received looks of confusion from the driver and his wife, an older white haired man and lady. I am sure how they will tell all their friends at the retirement home about this vicious trucker who was tailgating them and blowing his horn.

Yeah, just go right ahead and tell me how unsafe truckers drive.......

5. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    Three times in the past week, similar things have happened. A car will pass me, then whip it right in front of me, and slow down....and of course, this always happens when there is a mile long line of cars in the left lane, so that I must wait an eternity to pass and resume the speed I was previously traveling. One of these cars did this to me three times, before I blew my air horn, and indicated that I was a bit tired of it. Amazingly, THEN the car sped off and I never saw it again.

I don't get it. Why do people do this? Are they afraid to be behind a truck? Are they NASCAR fans, who just have to be out front, no matter how it inconveniences someone behind them? Are there actually people on this planet that are just plain....idiotic, and shouldn't be allowed to drive a motor vehicle?

KB3MMX and bbechtel16 Thank this.
  6. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    My opinion is that it is human nature in that the other driver does not want to be inpeded and wants to be a head. Also there is a lack of courtasy to other drivers and the lack of understanding of what is going on around them.

postmandav Thanks this.
  7. ymmv

ymmv Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2005
    .. even though at times I have felt their wrath for no apparent reason other than the 4 wheeler that pissed them off not long before I came along.

These days many people are inconsiderate road hogs. I agree that 4 wheelers get their licence a little too easily... I mean not all people come to the logical conclusion that a truck hauling thousands of pounds cannot stop on a dime... and it gets even better when the majority of the time the trucker ends up being the one blamed.

I get a real kick out of the 4 wheelers that hug the right line when passing a truck on their left out of fear or try to stay far away from the truck driver - like I've said in the past... I'll trust his driving first because I know how hard he worked to get behind that wheel.

P.S. Mind you.... lol.. doesn't say much about what a broker told me recently that a few receiving companies have had to hire their own shunt driver because some of the truckers that deliver the loads can't even back the trailer into the bay so they just leave the trailer sitting in the yard!.. lmao... Those drivers drove for good ol' thick and thin (TNT) no less. Pretty bad if ya ask me.. lol!

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. nomad

nomad Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Take a trip with me and count the accidents I see. On average I see one or two trucks a month in an accident. I see cars in an accident every rush hour. Climb in a cab of a big truck and see what I see. You will come out a different person. I guarantee that.

Nomad

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. BUBBABONE

BUBBABONE Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2005
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Well i just have a few things i would like to say.....i myself just love it when you merge to the left leane to allow a 4 wheeler to enter the highway and then waht do they do...hang out on your right side forever. I have even been nice enough to merge over to let them on knowing my exit is next and after putting on my signal they will not let me back over.

I also love the way people in 4 wheelers will slow down to 50 miles an hour before a half a mile exit ramp...why not exit the road and THEN slow down. My teacher at cdl school jumped all over me one time for slowing down before an exit ramp..never did that again.

Got another one for you all..how about when the 4 wheelers coming off the entrance ramp have plenty of room to merge in as long as they hit the gas(when a big truck cannot move left mind you)and instead thet hit the brakes,jump in the emergency lane and cuss us out. i have even backed out to let them in because i couldnt move left and they still hit the brakes.....frustrating to say the least

I also love the 4 wheeler riding down the road in the left lane doing 55 in a 70 zone with the cell phone up to their ear...i have even seen people in 4 wheelers going down the highway readind a magazine,or a newspaper completely blind to the world around them.

i could probably keep going but i got to get im rolling...have a safe one everybody!!

KB3MMX and bbechtel16 Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh yes. I love the morons who when you slow down to let them out seem to insist on slowing down too.

HELLO IDIOTS!!! It's called an acceleration lane for a reason. :evil:

KB3MMX and chopper23966 Thank this.
  11. dougfixit

dougfixit Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2006
    I don't know how anyone could read that articl and come up with that idea!and guys I know what you mean by the idiots driving there cars like they're the only one on the road. When I got my initial Indiana license the test was 50 questions. I now live in michigan the test is 10-12 questions. half of those are geared toward alchol consumtion! my wife calls it a drinking test. We both are very light drinkers about a beer a week each.so if they asks us how many drinks can you have and still drive the answer is 0 but the state knows better they say we can have two.
    I have driven every thing from a motorcycle to a 18 wheeler in the past. And I'll tell you the drivining mentality of todays drivers is slipping bad.
    1st rule the more you pay for a vehicle the more right you have to the road!
    2nd rule I have a 4 wheel drive I can do 80 on ice and snow (can't stop or turn but what the hell).
    3rd rule If you're driving the leagel speed I have the right to tailgait you (even if I have a snow plow on my 4wheel drive that the manufacture says to limit my max at 45)
    Hey guys now I don't drive a truck I'm in that little saturn wagon I hug the left white stripe while passing to give you room to do something in case some other dumb ### does something stupid and never pull up on the right (wrong) side of you. With the cruise set I've accelerated to finish the pass and still had someone cut to the right lane behind me because they want to do 90 and I'm bound and determined to give you the room you need. after all I was run over in a fiat by a cement truck reversing at a viaduct (12.0 viaduct 12.6 truck) Guy was pissed at the dispatcher and stopped and reversed without looking. Never could get that car into reverse fast, line lock was a ##### to find. enough said.
    The cops don't have time I guess for all these drivers and with todays funding never will. It's a mentallity thing brought on by todays psychology of child rearing. And the me society. If I did something inconsiderate in front of my old man it'd take me 3 day to remember my name I'm not saying he was right I raised my kids with the same moral my dad taught and don't think I gave to many hand to butt wacks the whole time but parents now hand Jr. Or Misy candy to shut them up.
    Here is my benidiction when I meet one of these drivers on the roadDone to the tune of the preacher or preist at the back of the church at the end of the service.

I'M THE ONE THE ONLY ONE THERE"S NO ONE ELSE BUT MEEE

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.