Why are 18 wheelers always causing accidents?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Anonymous, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Duckie

Duckie Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Alabama
    This thread really "makes me mad"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not to worry. The poster in question didn't bother to stick around.

4. kyyara

kyyara Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Winterpeg
    I think you would add some ligitimacy to your arguement if you used a name other than anonyomous.

I will grant you that there are some bad truck drivers. You will have to acknowledge that the same applies to 4 wheelers and then we can have a discussion.

Part of the problem is this new sense of urgency by the general public at large. Everyone is in a hurry, trying to cram 30 hours in a 24 day.

Another issue is lack of common courtesy and the "it's all about me" mentality.

If you are honest with yourself you will have to agree with the following statements....

MOST 4 wheelers think that if they allow a rig to change lanes in front of them for something on the shoulder, it will hold them up. The truth is, the time you will loose is so minimal that you couldn't measure it on your watch. If you are running that late, or in that much of a hurry ... then you are the dangerous one on the road. Next time a truck needs to move one lane to the left ... imagine if YOU were the one on the shoulder changing your tire right on the white line.

If you have issues with trucks running slow ... maybe you should lobby your state representatives to equal the playing field. When there is a 15 mph split between cars and trucks ( as in Michigan ), there are inherent problems to be had.

MOST trucks stay in the right lane except to pass.

Construction zones ... It has been my experience that when lane closures occur, it is overwelmingly the cars that fail to get into the proper lane until the very end. This is what causes most of the delays because it creates a situation where everyone must start and stop contunually.

I will leave the numbers arguement to someone else. Being very familiar with statistics ... I know they can be manipulated easily to reflect what one may want them to say. Therefore, they rarely carry much weight except with those that are not familiar with how they work.

The truth is ... the rules of the road are rarely followed and as an old philospher once said .... without law, there is chaos.

I could fill your evening with truth but the sad thing is, I don't believe you have the ability to be honest with yourself so it would be a waste of time.

When a rig puts on the left turn signal and has room to change lanes, this does not mean you are to floor it. You may be amazed at what would happen if you were actually courteous.

I had to add this little tidbit ... anytime you use the terms always, never, everyone and noone etc. your arguement is flawed because there are no absolutes.

Best wishes,
    K

5. RoadRocket

RoadRocket Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2006
    L.A. = Lower Alabama
    Im not sure how anyone can be so ingornate as to make such a statement. There is an agency called the FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION (FHWA) They have the facts and the last time i checked and if i remember correctly over 80% of the accidents where a big truck and a car was involved the car was cited meaning the car was at fault.

6. oklateam

oklateam Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2006
    18 wheelers arent causing near the accidents that 4 wheelers cause and when u do see a 18 wheeler crashed 75% (if not more) of the time it was because of a 4 wheeler stoped to soon or the driver of the truck was trying to miss a 4 wheeler

7. madbunny

madbunny Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Okay.....nope not going to do it. Nevermind....don't want to get me started on this topic. Y'all will be kicking me off the site. :smt076

8. gjustice10

gjustice10 Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2006
    You must be a *******,
    I have a GED and can figure out that a Truck weighs tons more that a passenger car/SUV. I see people following too closely, passing in no passing zones ... taking all kinds of life threatening chances to beat a truck!
    I am in a truck school now and have even more respect than before for the big machines out there. Its only common sense that they deserve MORE RESPECT then they are given.
    Try clicking your heels together three times and repeat after me... I wish the big trucks would go away! .... and see what happens
    G.

9. gjustice10

gjustice10 Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Truckers are like Cops... They are held to a higher standard... ! And some ACLU no brainer like you has the nerve to ask such a question! Have a nice day!:sunny:

10. MaddTrucker

MaddTrucker Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2006
    First of all, accidents will always be around, that's why they are called accidents!

Secondly, Accidents could be reduced, but that would cost the States and the Feds money. Nobody REALLY cares about our safety out here. Nobody REALLY cares about how much rest we get. How do I know? I was told by an Iowa DOT cop that a fatality would have to occur in order for them to audit a company. I contacted the Feds to turn the same company in for numerous violations and was contacted a week and a half later by one of their "outsourced" companies, and since I didn't have access to the info needed to bury this company, they ignored me. I even contacted MATT. They didnt contact me either! OOIDA has been NO help. I've written all my representatives AND the guys running for Governor of Iowa. NO RESPONSE!

The thing is, it would cost the governments money for us to run legal. There is one sure fire way to prove a company is running illegal, and nobody cares to look into it. And don't start replying with your comments that YOU run legal, because 90% of you don't. I know, I haven't run legal in 9 yrs, with NO log book tickets.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Sir, I don't know where you got your information but I, for one, can tell you with a clear conscience that I haven't falsified a log book in 5 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.