Why can't we edit comments here?

Discussion in 'Truck Forum Information Center' started by Mattflat362, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Just curious?? Zero other forums (only like 2 others in my life) that I am in prevent me from changing my comments anytime I wish. Why this one? Company owned? Don't want to let drivers off the hook?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    We allow members to edit their posts for 24 hours. We've found that allowing edits after that period of time is often confusing for other members because they would have to constantly scroll back into busy threads to see the latest edits.

If you wish to change something after that 24 hour limit, simply report the post and what you wish to change, and the staff will look it over. We almost always accommodate members who wish to change pertinent information.

I won't respond to your insinuations regarding the ownership of this site. The reputation of TruckersReport as a voice for drivers speaks for itself.

4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    But you did respond to it! LOL.

I was kinda joking but thanks for the clarification.

MACK E-6, bullhaulerswife and d o g Thank this.
  5. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Glad this got resolved. :biggrin_25525:

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Another aspect is SEO, (Search Engine Optimization).

"Your" website may rank higher in the search order if there are other websites, especially ones with high traffic, that have a link to your site. Just a link somewhere on thier site to yours. Your website would be more favorable to show up on the first page of listings when soeone searches for something if other busy sites had a link to you.

People will make an account and then post a comment on a thread and then leave it for a while. Then they will go back and edit the comment to include a link to thier website that may increase thier rating.

It's an outdated practice but it still happens.

Putting a limit on the time for an edit is a realistic measure for a high volume site.

bullhaulerswife and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.