Why Cascadias?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sharp.dressed.man, Apr 10, 2013.

1. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    DT-12 Direct drive or over and how do you like the tranny, It does skip shift right?

Thanks Stan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    didnt address you bud..Are you the OP?

4. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Not driven one yet. They are 12 overs. Told its the same transmission as the Volvo Ishift. Just with detroits program?

5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Would be nice if it was the I-shift, but from the pics I have seen, the case looks different, I wonder if they re-introduced the ZF Astronic, (better know here as the Meritor Freedomline), I'll check it out when I have time.

ZF/Meritor could no longer sell that tranny here since Eaton won their infringement case against them back in 2006, maybe they sold it to Detroit for the States?

6. mrw896

mrw896 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2012
    British Columbia
    From what I understand it is a modified Mercedes transmission that has been in use in Europe for years.

7. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    Detroit dt12 and Volvo I-shift are different auto tranys from different manufacturers.

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Both are 12 speeds, as was the lower end Freedomline. I'd say mechanically, the Freedomline was better than the Eaton, but the electronics tend to cause trouble.

Cummins is partnering with Eaton-Fuller on a integrated powertrain using Cummins engines and EF transmissions.

I hear good things about all 3 now, not so much before except for the I-shift.

Jrdude5 Thanks this.
  9. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    When I was OTR I drove a Cascadia and thought it was pretty nice. I have driven a few different trucks and all were nice, quiet, didn't shake, nice ride. I have driven automatic Volvos and they have a nice ride as well. I don't know what the big issue is. The price, power and maintenance are why the Cascadia has become the fleet truck of choice for many companies.

Now on a second note if you really think the ride is bad then spend a day in my current truck. I drive an 1989 Mack ready mix truck in Lake Tahoe up and down Donner Pass, any off road work for the forest service and ski areas in the vicinity. I get beat on a daily basis no A/C so if I had anything like what I have driven in the past I would feel spoiled to death. Just remember how some of the more minor things can be over looked when some of us drivers spend a 12-14 or even 16 hour day in a piece of antiquated equipment. I love my job and get payed pretty well for it and still get 5 months off during the winter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.