Why Crete?

Discussion in 'Crete' started by grusco, Apr 10, 2013.

1. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN
    I'm facing a dilemma: I just finished 6 months in the North Dakota oil fields getting home twice in that period. Made around $1,700 a week. Sounds great but I also had to pay $700 of that to rent a room and another $1,000 a month for living expenses (this in addition to supporting my family back in the Twin Cities area). Now I need to make a choice between going otr with Crete (assuming they offer) or driving Intermodal out of Chicago for JB Hunt. The money at Hunt may be a bit better but it looks like the Insurance benefits at Crete are less expensive. We have some medical issues in our family so any difference in money made at Hunt may be lost in medical costs due to coverage. I also wonder if driving the intermodal regional runs in MN, WI, IA and IL (not to mention in and out of Chicago rail yards) may get boring. The intermodal schedule is 11 out and 3 home. Crete says they can offer 12014 out and 2 home or they can switch me to longer outs with a a bit more time at home. Since I assume most readers here have chosen or are choosing Crete I expect some bias. But I'd love to read your two cents worth and what would you do if you were me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. perufb

perufb Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Chazy,NY
    I would say Crete is the better of the two, but why limit yourself to those 2?

cuzzin it Thanks this.
  4. old time

old time Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    If you are in Twin Cities maybe check Stan Koch

5. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY
    I'm a semi happy Cretin and have the BC/BS family plan and it cost me $78. aweek with a (IIRC)$1000. per person deductable witha a family max of $2000.
    My wife's been useing the ins. quite a bit lately and we've seen NO problems and were surprised by how much the RX part of the plan has saved us.
    It's been a long time since I drove for JB but I'd take Crete over JB just about any day.

6. steven7994

steven7994 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I drove for Crete for almost 5 yrs and you will starve for miles alot.When it comes to hometime they don't care if they get you there ontime or not.I would look at other places before I made a decision

7. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN
    Great idea (Koch) however I don't have the year otr. I spent six months of the last year driving in the oil fields of ND and companies see that as local and not otr. But I'll certainly keep that recommendation in mind.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  8. steven7994

steven7994 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I have been here at Koch myself for almost a yr now.The ins benefits for the fist yr suck as it is a limited plan.But after a yr you get bc/bs

9. bama07football

bama07football Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2012
    everywhere but home
    I am thinking of leaving KLLM for crete/shaffer...thoughts anyone?

10. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    i did schaffer for a year. made 50K in 06, but i hated it. PS don't call the safty guy "wisker biscuit" he will put stuff on your DAC :biggrin_25516:

11. treetrimmer88

treetrimmer88 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2013
    i cant say but from reading hunts page they arent doing good. ive been here at crete for awhile and im not doing bad at all..besides the fact that im in trouble for cussing a few people out about some stuff. but like ive told alot of people that have came to crete and are still here its all about communication. if you cant do that you wont get anywhere. if you let them push you around you wont get anywhere. but if you talk to your dispather like a professional then youll average 3k miles a week i do.

Bigdubber, grusco and chowick1966 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.