Why did my dm call me asking me to stayn

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Juan1998, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Completely agree. I have ALWAYS shifted a 13 like a 9. I think in the 40 years I have been doing this I drove an 18 once.

Im an owner operator. I have a 10 speed in my truck. Its custom built for what I do. I built it to get good mileage at high speed with light loads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Juan1998

Juan1998 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2023
    I got sick of eating subway which is why I I just got a air fryer lol

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The worst part about my truck is the company I work for castrated 12th, so 11th and 12th have the same governed tops speed thus rendering 12th virtually useless. Fortunately we don't haul that many heavy loads so going from 11th to 13th doesn't cause too many issues.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you can drive 9 or 10 speed you can easily drive 13 or 18. If you had ANY Super 10 it would be even easier to learn 13/18.

When I'm asked a big open-ended question, I still havevto force myself not to rush andbgive an answer right then, but to answer with "I'll have to think on it a while and get back to you." You had reason for applyin to leave. Only you can know if your current company gave you what you asked for, would you stay for another year or two. If current company doesn't have any manual trucks (call the shop and ask) don't ask for one. They won't buy one for you, in most cases.

Leave on good terms, if you leave. I always gave notice, but I also worked for companies that didn't dump a driver forbgiving notice. Some people work for bottom-feeders and think every company is terrible. That wasn't my experience.

6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I learned to shift a 13 speed via a Yoo tube video. Nobody at the company had time or inclination to show me how.
    Best of luck ~

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The 10 has a higher rpm shift range then a 13/18.

So it's a little bit of a learning curve. You have to wait a little longer for the rpms to line up with the next gear..

austinmike Thanks this.
  8. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    100% agree. I cannot understand the desire to work more for same pay. I would rather work less for more pay.

9. tscottme

I'd rather starve than eat one more Subway sub. Maybe that'll change in 5 or 10 years.

10. tscottme

Me too.

11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Speaking of subway. I boycotted em a couple years ago after the one in my town refused to honor a coupon that SUBWAY sent me in tge mail. I walked out of the place and haven't been back since. F em.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.