Why did you quit OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, Nov 7, 2019.

1. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Why did you quit doing OTR

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I'm just on vacation.

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    "Cause I hated every minute of it. That was back in the early 70s and I spent all one winter driving for a friend who was leased to International Transport.
    In five months I saw my wife and kids three times, I spent an ungodly amount of money for food on the road, and i was lost most of the time.
    I met every grouchy farm equipment dealer in several midwestern states, tarped things that were never meant to be tarped, and had my first dealings with the mega truck company mentality.
    As soon as the good weather started I went home, got a job hauling local, and for me OTR now means anything east of Reno and I don't go.

5. metallifreak10

metallifreak10 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Wishing I was in Alaska
    I only did OTR for 4 months over 9 years ago. The reason I quit and went local was simple. Basically, I was homesick.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Old Dominion bought my employer and did away with my twice monthly trips from TN to L.A., but most importantly they did not allow drivers with pets authorized by old company to bring pets. Philistines!

I got back into it after almost 20 years, mostly for the glamorous lifestyle and free coffee.

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Because to them I was only a number. 3 weeks out and home for two days. Woops you have been home too long. Get back to work. Tho when my 34 rolled around the DM needed to have the weekend off after doing 40 hours. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

If there was a company that would let me run freight in Maine and didnt have a restriction on the size of my gut. (also the fact that I havent done commercial miles for 11 years) I would probably be out there.

8. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Because living in a truck was not my idea of living. But I did it for One Year exactly and said Adios.

9. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Because family is more important . I just run a 350 radius of home out and back.

10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Because I was pissed off that my employer added an extra day to my route without increasing my pay, so I told them I would do local. I did that for one month and worked twice as hard as OTR. So I quit, bought my own truck and trailer, and now I'm doing my own thing OTR, local or whatever he heck I want to do.

11. Penumbra

Penumbra Medium Load Member

Jul 29, 2019
    when the heck do we get free coffee?!?!?

scythe08, thelushlarry and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.