Why do lumpers exist?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by UKJ, Mar 25, 2015.

1. hvacker

hvacker Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    everywhere, NC
    There has only been one time I have used cash out of my own pocket, that's one morning our q-comm was down. I wanted off the dock. I paid cash, 2 hrs later a wire code came across as soon as system was up reimbursing me instant

UKJ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    The megas have checks you keep for such reasons like lumpers.Always make sure you have a book of checks in your trkIf not you may find a driver that'll give you a check or even the trkstop.But the smaller companies may require the driver to pay for lumper and then get reimbursed but I still would say no.

UKJ Thanks this.
  4. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    So I really shouldn't have to worry about this unless I am working for a smaller company that may or may not be honest.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Yes more or less.

6. hvacker

hvacker Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    everywhere, NC
    Size of a company does not represent they level of honesty.
    We are a small company (100 or less trucks)

Integrity means everything.
    Your co will supply checks, as many as you want on hand. If they use them.
    if they don't they will have other options.
    personally, if their option was to require me to use my personal cash, I wouldn't hear of it. But I am quite selfish with my money by nature.

pattyj Thanks this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    When I was with this small company they wanted money to unload my trailer so I call Jason up he absolutely refused to go to his office and get me a po number because he just finished eating and its dark.I told him to get his happy ### down to his office and get me a po number.He wanted me to unhook and go get money out of the atm off my card.I told him nope.So sat there for like 3 hrs then he finally gave in.He says you and I are going to have a talk when you get back to the yard.Fine by me I have a few things I wanna say to you too.We never did have that talk.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  8. mrbamcclain

mrbamcclain Light Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Hammond, La
    For the most part it's to save labor, cut out the unions and to alleviate workman's comp claims.
    Wal-Mart on the other hand does it to offset payroll. (Anybody else remember when they didn't charge at all?)
    Makes you wonder how WM can get it done for $50 and lumper companies charge much more for the same crap!

Being an O/O I've lumped many loads that paid rather well and weren't much more than an hour labor. Gotta pay for chicken lights somehow!

9. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    If you ever encounter a problem with lumpers you should immediately contact the local US Marshall...they are required to solve all problems a truck driver might encounter...always in the drivers favor.

Lite bug, Fatboy42 and UKJ Thank this.
  10. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    LOL! Good one!

11. mrbamcclain

mrbamcclain Light Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Hammond, La
    There are laws pertaining to lumpers though.
    You can not be forced into hiring a lumper service no matter what lies they may tell

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.