Why do most new drivers quit?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Feb 5, 2016.

1. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    What do you think the main reason is for new drivers quitting and not lasting very long? Is it the pay or something else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    most probably don't push thru the new job jitters,which in this case can be staggering due to now living in a truck.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I think drivers quit for a lot of reasons. In my opinion the top few reasons is the money is not what they expected. The job is not as easy as they thought. They should have never been a driver to start with and finally see it and walk away.

BUMBACLADWAR, morpheus, pattyj and 2 others Thank this.
  5. crxdc

crxdc Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Las vegas NV
    I watched a driver quit the first night because the recruiter told him he would be home every night. I told him that was a pipe dream. I woke up to him packing his bag that night. Was awesome as I had a solo room the rest of the night.

6. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    New drivers quit for a variety of reasons but most the ones that I have talked to in recent years pretty much can't handle the life on the road. Most people have watched movies and tv shows that have glorified trucking into an adventure of a lifetime, but the realities are nothing like in a movie. It's long hours of hard work followed by mandatory down time in some really lousy locations. You get to tour all of the better warehouse districts of cities, the fun stuff you wave at on your way by on the interstate. Most companies will run you until your hours are gone and then you are stuck sitting away from home and your friends with only limited home time interspersed. Most people can't handle that kind of life and unfortunately they don't really understand what they are getting into until they are there. Trucking is a tough job that takes a special breed to succeed.

7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Because it's a tough out here,
    And some of these companies send a brand new driver out to recover an abandoned truck full of trash.
    Welcome to trucking, here's your truck..,
    And the fact that our country changed, you don't need a job to have a place to live, lots of food and the latest cellphone.
    Back in my day, if you didn't work, you ate government cheese and we're lucky to have meat in the navy beans you ate every meal.

8. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Because they forget to make wide turns and break lamp posts at truck stops! Because they have to call dispatch for step-by-step directions! Because they can't shift properly! Because they fall asleep! Because they're slloowwww and want to sleep 14 hours or work one day and skip the next! Because they want to be coddled! Because they think they're more important than the customers! No! No! No! Turn the key and step on it driver! We need that load delivered yesterday! Rant off!

9. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    That would suck to get a trashed up truck but nothing i can't handle with lysol wipes and some heavy cleaning to make it mint again.

Valuable Asset and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    It can be tough being away from loved ones with minimal home time but i think alot of drivers quit right off the bat is because they cant suck it up and get the job done. So they say they have a family emergency and then bail.

11. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Had this one friend. He trucked just as good as I do. He quit because he got soft for a girl and wanted to spend more time with her. Give me a break! You want to go play Ken and Barbie instead of being out here fattening up the piggy? Oh brother.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.