Why do people use lucas "oil stabilizer"?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by allan5oh, Oct 28, 2012.

1. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    I have not seen any evidence whatsoever it is nothing more than a marketing scam, much like hollow copper tubes (turbo 3000) and magical catalysts. I have seen oil samples on this stuff and it is nothing more than extremely thick oil with no additives found in normal oil It has 0 TBN, and no other additives that are needed in our engines. So even at 10% lucas you're thickening the oil way above the OEM viscosity range and diluting the additives your engine needs.

What is inherently "unstable" about the oil we use? I have found it is usually the engine that causes oil needing to be changed. My old Volvo had 100,000 mile oil changes with regular 15w40 Rotella and bypass filtration. Soot never went above .3%, viscosity always stayed within range, metal wear rates were extremely low, and TBN was always healthy. Yet you try that in an EGR engine the iron and soot will skyrocket, and TBN will drop at double the rate. Lucas wouldn't do anything for that situation.

nsane4, SHC and Hammer166 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. volvodriver01

volvodriver01 Road Train Member

I personally change my oils every 15,000 miles and I use Rotella 15w-40 with 1 gallon of Lucas. In my case mixing 1 gallon of thick Lucas with 8 gallons of 15w-40 it doesn't make my oil to thick. Lucas makes my oil lube everything better and protects in my opinion. This is how I have done it for the last 5 years and I haven't had any problems.

4. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    A buddy of mine just started this with his last oil change this week.
    Personally, I figure that the Delvac I use has everything I already need in it - for my engine.

But, maybe I'm wrong.

Gee...Remember STP oil treatment?
    I used that - but only for assembling engine bearings...

MNdriver, SHC and Hammer166 Thank this.
  5. Colorato

Colorato Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2011
    If your not having any issues that would require the use of Lucas then adding it at every change is a waste of your time and money.

There are times when it can help the engine.

6. allan5oh

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Such as????

7. Colorato

Feb 22, 2011
    If your sampling your oil and the wear metals go up.
    If you have fuel dilution.
    If you have coolant saturation.

Basically if your oil is breaking down at a faster rate due to other problems then adding Lucas can protect the engine until you find or get the problem fixed. Not saying to ignore the problem but if your sampling like you should then most likely you'll catch the problem. Like I said not just because. But it won't hurt anything but your wallet.

Also there are EGR trucks running Eco-pure systems that are going 100,000 miles and then some without a full drain.

8. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    They got an oil sample that said "oil stability: -54"
    Ideally you want oil stability readings above 100.

[​IMG]

9. allan5oh

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    I don't see how lucas would help with that. In fact Lucas may make it worse, especially in winter during cold starts. Lucas is so incredibly thick it will delay oil travel to vital engine components. You may have oil pressure, but that doesn't mean you have oil flow.

Maybe there's a point here, thicken it up after fuel gets to it. Coolant shouldn't be in oil, even the best oil you will still wipe bearings.

I have not seen ANY evidence whatsoever that LOS protects the engine better than a good quality oil. I have seen evidence to the contrary.

10. Colorato

Feb 22, 2011
    I agree that it thickens but I don't think it does to the degree your thinking. Plus no one said just because you buy a gallon you have pour the entire gallon in at once.

I never said it protects better. I said in certain cases to use it and pointed out IMO examples of those cases.

I'm gonna take a guess and say you don't feel synthetic oil is better than petroleum either?

11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I don't know about the bigger diesel engines, but I've used Lucas in my (extremely) high mileage gasoline engines for decades without issues. Indeed, Lucas Oil Stabilizer has helped me get more engine life over the long term. Basically, oil stabilizer has prevented ancient engines from dying on schedule, and saved me time and money on having to purchase either another engine, or an entire car at times when I could afford neither.

Since I can usually only afford vehicles that are on the raggedy edge, I've gotten really good at extending the life of my vehicles beyond any mechanics expectations, especially when one considers the amount of abuse my vehicles undergo on a regular basis (plenty of stop and go traffic, hard pull grades, idiot drivers completely surrounding me, and so on). And when I mean stop and go, I mean stop lights every 50 freaking yards and you never catch any of them on the 'green', they're deliberately programmed that way to prevent 'street racing' (because we've had such a HUGE problem with street racers in freaking Meadville!) Oh, and potholes that would do Pittsburgh or NYC proud.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.