Why do we stay OTR?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Jul 22, 2021.

1. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    This community is full of 24/7 Funny Guys. Or I'm dead and already in hell.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Thats quite some miles between Michigan and Chicago. Can’t stand 294/94/80 between Chicago and Gary

Team818 and nredfor88 Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I suppose the question could be rephrased to "Why did you consider blowing your brains out?"

5. MiFamilyGuy

MiFamilyGuy Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2012
    It can be pretty soul-sucking, for sure.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I started off doing local work, which lasted 10 years, got sick of the boss and took a job running OTR. I'd been married two years, and had a 1 year old at home. The day I quit the local job, wife informed me she was pregnant.

She went through the pregnancy alone, going to all the appointments and such with our 1 year old in tow. I was able to make it home to see my youngest born, then I left the next day. To say it was hard on our marriage is an understatement. But I loved what I was doing and she said she was ok with it.

Then this local job came along, and the money was good enough that I'd be a fool not to take it. Been here for 10 years now, and have no plans to leave. Home everyday around noon, no weekends unless I choose to work, all the benefits the big outfits have.

Do I miss the OTR life? Sometimes. Waking up in a different place everyday, seeing other parts of the country, talking with the locals and listening to their dialect (the southern twang was always my favorite, as well as the New York accent) It was a good experience for me personally.

But I chose marriage over my own desires, and I'm content. For now. Later on once the kids are out on their own, I might consider OTR again if the conditions are right.

That crap about starting OTR, doing two years with a mega and then getting a local job? It's ########. I'd bet that most people quit before that first year is up, partly because of the crap that the megas are shoving down their throats. Yeah, I know that's what the training mills preach. But there's more than one way to skin a cat they say.

7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Not worth it. I'll keep driving! Lol:eek:

8. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    If I don’t stay OTR, Jody wouldn’t have a job :eek:

9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    After 4 years of OTR I just switched to local/regional...

As an OTR driver I had MAYBE one contact with office personnel per week. I LOVED that aspect, I was pretty much my own boss. I set my route, schedule, where I stopped, ect. I also loved seeing the country and going new places. I've driven truck in pretty much the entire northern half of the USA from Portland, OR to DuBois, PA... Something like 26 or 27 states.

But what made me change to local/regional was mainly home time... Even though I got home every week doing OTR, I wanted more time with my family. In 4 years I missed 3 funerals and 2 weddings. And I have 2 small children and a teenager at home, my 2 boys are 3 years old and 8 months old. The older of the 2 is getting to where he really wants to do "Boy Stuff" with Daddy. And he really missed me when i was on the road. Not mention that my wife (a stay at home Mom) was struggling to keep her sanity while tending to an infant, a toddler, and a teenager. I needed to be home more.

On top of all that you can add the standard crap we all put up with as drivers... Traffic, idiot motorists, ect. I live in a very rural area so most of hose kind of problems are minimal around my area... They still exist, but to a much lesser degree. No more Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Nashville type insanity for me. Now the worst I get is Boise or Salt Lake.

Now I'm home almost every night and have weekends off. I'm paid an hourly wage for everything from beginning of Pre-Trip to End of Shift. The diffenence in annual income will be minimal.

I still have the same truck I had OTR and I dont slip seat, most nights I take the truck and trailer home with me. In the last 3 weeks I've only drove my personal vehicle once.

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I love OTR. I love the lifestyle. Wouldn’t want to live any other way.

bryan21384 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Because it’s a great way to build savings fast.

bryan21384, D.Tibbitt and kylefitzy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.