Why does Gary,IN have such a bad reputation

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by ronjeremyjr, Jul 4, 2020.

1. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Liked the petro better than the pilot when I use run up that way. Never had in problems in W Memphis either. However I'll take both over dallas and detroit. well when I went to detroit I'd park at the ta in monroe. had a nice little bar and grill within walking distance.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    There is a reason why the city is called “Scary Gary”,I should know, I lived in the next town over(Hammond)-And that city was a rough neighborhood in itself!

D.Tibbitt, tommymonza and bzinger Thank this.
  4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    This was very true-especially at red lights!!
    You ain’t missing much,lol
    From the 1980s to about 2005/2006 Gary was known as the murder capital, at which point the title went officially to Camden, New Jersey.

QFT,lol

tommymonza, TripleSix, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Code-Head

Code-Head Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Virginia, USA
    Never had any issues stopping by Exit 6. I like it there and stop in at least once a month to go to the vape store. Really nice guy that always gives me discounts. Plenty of parking. Quiet at night, nobody has ever knocked on my door begging or offering anything. Plenty of stores to walk around to. The sub-conscious fear of being in a high crime neighborhood has never really effected me because I wasn't raised to fear people based on generalizations, therefore I am not a racist, sexist, homophobe. Weird that I chose to be a trucker I guess but it's nice to be the opposite of everybody else.

Dexterr Thanks this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    That spot where the Petro is, back in the early 90s, that was the Steel City Truck Stop. Where the Loves is across the street, that was the Flying J.

I was a company schmuck and like most company schmucks, I fueled at the J's because the J would give you a shower ticket and a coupon for a 24 ounce t-bone dinner with all the trimmings for a 100 gallon fillup. There was this hand staying at the Steel City that left his doors unlocked. A thug climbed up in his truck and robbed him at knife point. Thug gets out of the truck and starts walking towards the J. Driver came out of his truck shooting a 12 gauge flare gun at the thug. I was at the fuel island topping off my tanks when one of the flares slammed into the back of a box trailer on the fuel island. These were the days before cell phones, and so everyone on the fuel island abandoned their trucks and ran like hell. All we knew at that moment was that someone was shooting flares at the fuel island.

Now, they have really cleaned up the area. That Petro is actually pretty nice. Worlds nicer than what used to be there. Even so, keep on guard. Outside of the Petro can still be pretty rough.

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That is one of the nicest Petros in the country. Its been crazy ish happening every year at random truck stops in recent years. It ain't even just major cities anymore. Look at how a driver nearly got robbed in Dalton, GA a week or two ago. The same guard younhave in Gary, you better have it everywhere these days.

Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Just as the ambulance chasers come after drivers for being such easy prey, the hoodlums, bums and thieves will also began to target drivers more and more. Especially since so many of them walk with their heads down to avoid eye contact, and headphones on their ears as they walk to and from the truck stops.

D.Tibbitt and bryan21384 Thank this.
  9. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I don't know if you have heard from reality yet but crime rates are based on statistics, which is basic math. Crime statistics have nothing to do with generalizations. You are confusing yourself with your own self serving fantasy.

Proclaiming yourself to be a non racist, sexist, or homophobe really has nothing to do with anything other than patting yourself on the back for something that nobody here has claimed to be either.

You aren't a hero or any better than anybody else around here. You believe that you are the opposite of everybody else yet you don't even understand the topic that you are commenting on.

Hilarious!

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You're right about that too. It's even other drivers you have to watch out for too!!! Some of them have been on a rampage. Honestly, I avoid sleeping at truck stops if possible. Side note, the weather has felt so good in the north. I slept in PA, up in Meadville last night. It's so nice and cool that I haven't had to use the APU this entire week!

D.Tibbitt, TokyoJoe and mjd4277 Thank this.
  11. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I was born and raised to the age of 8 across the highway off of Burr Street next to that forest perserve. Left Gary and the area when I was 10 when my family moved West to California. Did not return as an adult until I started driving in 2005. Boy was I shocked when I stopped there for fuel. Did it once and have never stopped there again.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.