Why does Hot Shotting exist?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by fl0w3n, Aug 18, 2015.

1. fl0w3n

fl0w3n Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    So I've been reading a ton for the past few months about how to Hot Shot, what to do and not to do, what type of truck/trailer etc. but I feel I'm missing something still. I want to understand why the Hot Shot industry continues to exist today. It is my understanding that Hot Shotting originated in the oil industry and when fields needed an emergency part, trucks would sit at the shop waiting to rush the part out with a non-stop drive as soon as it was ready. Well from what I understand the business is quite different today.

What I do not understand is how the industry continues to exist today.
    Has it transformed into doing the same thing that the big trucks do, but just on a smaller scale? If so, why would a business want to pay to only have a small amount of their product moved vs filling an entire semi? Of course there's times when you don't have a full load, but I can't imagine that it happens often enough to sustain an entire industry.

Does it exist as an expedited package delivery service? If so, why hasn't UPS or FedEx come in and just dominated the industry with their size and know how?

What I want to know from those of you who are already up and running is; who are these customers who pay to have stuff delivered via Hot Shot trucking? What are they shipping? What does your load consist of? How often is it time sensitive compared to just being LTL?

I'm sure if I had access to some load boards and could browse around I would see the answer for myself, but I don't want to waste my free trial until I'm ready to run.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    I can't give you a good answer, at least not the one you're looking for.

But there doesn't have to be a logical reason behind it. Where there is a demand for that type of hauling, someone will supply it.

I would imagine that hot-shots cost less to use than say a full tractor trailer. Most of those trucks get better fuel mileage by far.

So really, the only thing I could even remotely guess at would be that there is enough demand.

Also, I've seen a few fedex hot-shot runners. I've never seen one run in the daytime though.... They are far and few between.

4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Outside the oil fields it is called expediting. Usually a pallet or two to keep a assembly line running, sometimes a part for a plant. Most work has slowed down due to the auto makers working hard to cut their losses, but the still screw up and need parts, shutting a line down cost big bucks.

5. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    I guess you dont realize just how light of loads a lot of semis are pulling.

People "hot shot" because there is money in it. Plain and simple.

flatbedcarrier and Rick Brown Thank this.
  6. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    While not hot shot, I can attest to this...

53 foot trailer and Jcp puts two pallets on it that aren't even half-full.

truckon Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    In a mining environment, if a shovel goes down, it costs the mining company more money in downtime than it does to pay a guy in a 1 ton top dollar to get the parts there asap. A lot of times the regular carriers can't mobilize a truck quick enough to haul a small part out to them.

8. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    With a hot shot load they are not paying for transportation.
    They are trying to limit downtime costs or curb penalties.
    I have seen aircraft chartered to carry a $2-00 seal.

9. fl0w3n

fl0w3n Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    All great responses so far and does help me.

And in response to you Vilhiem, there may not need to be a logical reason behind it but the way my brain works is I'm an over thinker and need to know every little detail so I'm going to search anyways :book::happy3:

As far as most of the responses, that's what I figured - there are some cases where it's cheaper to pay top dollar to have a part special delivered than it is to let your operation be down. I guess my concern is, how often does that really happen and can that model really support all the people trying to make a buck off this industry... more specifically, can it support one more if I join in :rolleyes:

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  10. fl0w3n

fl0w3n Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Something easy and basic that I would love to hear from you guys who do this type of hauling is - what did you haul today and how far? Bonus points if you have a picture of your load!

Maybe I should start a new thread where people just post pictures of their load, what it is, and how far they hauled it?

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Think of it this way. Every load you see on a hot shot is a load that would have been on a semi otherwise.

Something else to think on, there is money to be made in every specialized side of this industry, whether or not you succeed depends solely on you.

Vilhiem and flatbedcarrier Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.