Why Does Truck Passing Truck Go about same speed

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by CLAIR, Dec 16, 2011.

1. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I understand that. I dont blame you, I blame the company.

hrtbr8kr Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    my pet peeve is slow trucks in the middle lane holding up traffic get in the slow lane where you belong also a pet peeve is companies that governor there trucks at crazy slow speeds like 62 mph id rather work in a factory than drive something that slow all it is is a rolling roadblock.im now a company driver 2010 pete day cab 550 cummins 18d/o 3.55s governed at 98mph thats how it should be and why im working there btw i get paid by the hour so i rarely go past 70 but at least i can get out of my own way like if im passing a truck i wont be stuck in the left lane for 5 miles trying to make a pass i just step on it cause this too shall pass:biggrin_25522:

4. nobrand

nobrand Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Vernal UT.
    Well i drive a 62 mile an hour truck ,only been at it for a few months and when a 75 mile an hour truck passes me on the flat its all good but when we hit that hill and 75 mph truck slows down to 35 and i am going 45 i will either gear down and stay safely behind cause knowing that 75mph truck will pass me once on top. On the other hand if trucks are pi;ing up behind me i will go ahead and go around. I try to be as courteous as possible knowing that i can make the right decision and not to make a foolish mistake. I get a kick out of these new drivers who think the hammer lane is for 65mph, back in the day the hammer lane was 80,

5. Buffettfan

Buffettfan Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Chicago, Illinois
    My truck is governed at 62mph. It will only do 60 thou. But that's another matter. While two trucks may be governed at the same speed, the weight of their load, engine horsepower and hills come into play. I can have a truck that I can easily pass on a flat road, but once I hit even a minor hill, it will slow me down if I am loaded heavy. And the other truck may not be pulling the same kind of weight so the hills are not affecting his speed like mine. That's why I am very picky about when I chose to pass another truck. And why I will concede quickly if it looks like I will obstruct traffic in trying. Then again, impatience will get the best of me from time to time and I will stick it out until I complete a slow pass. Sorry, sometimes I just can't stare at the back of the same truck for too long.

6. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Bye-bye Swift and Central Oregon Trucking....:biggrin_2559:

7. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    I forgot to mention if it is 3+ traffic lanes is the only time I will get out of the granny lane for cruising. There is so much more chance of an incident due to the high number of entering/exiting vehicles. If it's 3 lane with "no trucks left lane" I will cruise the center lane UNTIL I see another truck coming up running faster (I wish I could afford a GPS so I didn't have to use mirrors lmao), at that time I will move over into the granny lane to allow a pass without making the other driver wait for me or get in the left lane.

8. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS

My truck will run 80. I normally run 65-68. Sometimes in 75 mph states I'll bump it up to 72 if I'm trying to get home.

What gets me is, just this past weekend, in OH on 70 between Columbus and the Dayton exit, I passed 6 governed trucks. I was running 65. I figure they must be all set at 62. All big names...Swift, JB, CRE etc.. A couple miles after I get around this guys, a 55 mph work zone came up. It's clearly marked. I dropped down to 55 and set cruise. Every single one of those drivers came flying around me in that work zone. They never let off their top speed. I tried to find out if the work zone speed limit applied to them or not, but not one responded.

See this crap all the time. Even on two lanes...get stuck behind a governed truck who can't run the speed limit, then come into a town that jumps out to four lanes but reduces down to 45 mph. Cool, be able to pass now...nope...these idiots don't let off the throttle.

All the time guys will jump right out in front to do their ten mile pass. And when you ask why you would jump out there and make me slam on my brakes the normal reply is you shouldn't be hauling butt up on me like that. WTF is up with that? I'm running the speed limit, jerk off.

Just because a lot of the guys driving a governed truck hate it, doesn't mean they need to be jerks to everyone else on the road. Just because my truck can run the speed limit doesn't mean I'm trying to be super trucker or billy big rigger as I've heard on the cb. I'm not trying to impede traffic. I have no problem speeding up when attempting to pass or back off the throttle if being passed. And I sure as heck don't ride up on someone's ### and then jump out to pass when faster traffic is right there. Drivers that act that way should have their CDL revoked.

Sapper Daddy87 Thanks this.
  9. Four wheels

Four wheels Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Indiana
    When a motorist is driving behind another vehicle that is traveling slower than the one behind it sometimes they have the intention of passing the vehicle in front of them. My question is, why would some trucks get right up on the bumper of that vehicle before finally deciding to pass them at the last minute while there is risk of a last minute maneuver?:smt102

10. OutLawRadio

OutLawRadio Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Texas
    In case "you idiots" didnt get it the first time :biggrin_2559:
    Cruise control drag racing . . . . . (insert YOU here)

11. OutLawRadio

OutLawRadio Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Texas
    Question;
    Which is the lesser of these two evils?
    "Them" flying around you or you running on cruise thru construction?

:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.