Why Does Truck Passing Truck Go about same speed

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by CLAIR, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I agree its ridiculous... and I think its partly a misplaced sense of greed: gotta get those miles. With more and more carriers looking at those PSP reports, an inspection triggered by speeding in a construction zone is going to get some of those guys blackballed from the industry IMO.

Someone mentioned a lack of consideration for those going faster in the hammer lane by slower governed trucks pulling out in the hammer lane. You can try to time your passing as best you can - no other vehicles nearby, and still have a faster truck run up on you. Y'all in the faster trucks need to have a little consideration for the slower vehicles as well - the law doesn't reserve the hammer lane for you. Many states have codified this in law restricting ALL vehicles to the right lanes unless passing. That consideration thing is after all, a two-way street.

Personally, I'd rather we went back to un-governed trucks all around, but its doubtful that will happen. For those of us subject to dispatch to Canada, we're stuck with the Ontario speed limiter mandate. There's also times I'd like to blow some of these guys out of the water as well... passing a slower truck who decided because of the name on my trailer he needs to speed up and cause everyone a headache... only to slow down once I've backed off.

If ya run up on a slower truck on the two lane, you might want to turn on your CB to CH19... if its me, I'll try to help get the passing gig done for you a little quicker.

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LittleJon

LittleJon Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Passing You
    My truck can run out at 85mph, I'm usually right at the posted speed limit, or 1 to 3 over when running in light traffic. I see a lot of governed trucks passing me in heavy traffic or construction zones, I guess they're trying to make up time.

4. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    What's wrong with being on cruise in construction. I could see if there were workers present but at 9 at night, there wasn't.

Your point???:biggrin_25523:

5. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    I have no issue with guys passing. My issue is when they don't wait to pass until you are right up on their left, fixing to go by them. Then they jump out there as they are hitting their blinker. That's stupid. On top of that, they ride right up on the bumper of the truck in front of them.

Makes no sense.

6. OutLawRadio

OutLawRadio Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Texas
    My point? was made
    Your justifiable point is now due ..........

7. OutLawRadio

OutLawRadio Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Texas
    Self Entitled "Professional Trucker Driver"

8. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Well maybe not fly past but it's still a hell of a lot better passing a 60 mph truck at 64 than at 61.
    :biggrin_25511:

9. j3411

j3411 Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Buckner, Il
    I drive a governed truck. Not as slow as some but not breaking any records either. All the posts are correct on the failure of some common courtesy from all parties concerned. People in slower trucks have to pass sometimes too. GET OVER IT. I'm sure most would love to just fly by the other truck but they do what they can do.

If I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing and I've given what I thought was enough time for me to finish my pass and some "fast" truck runs up on me. OH WELL. Not much I can do about that.

I don't jump out in front of traffic, I wait, I can always make up that minute or two it cost me. HUMMM, wait... so can the "fast" truck.

I love people who want to drive my truck and theirs. Wonder if they get paid extra or do it as a hobby?

10. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Most of the slower trucks I see running in the center lane, when you pass them, they've got their cell phone glued ot the side of their head not paying ANY attention to those passing them on the right. I guess they figure if they are in the center lane, they won't tip over....:biggrin_2552:

7122894003481 Thanks this.
  11. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio

If someone is passing my JB Hunt truck, I'll always back out of it, and let him go around. I rarely gt the same courtesy when I pass. Most of the drivers in trucks slower than mine are bonafide steering wheel holders. When I finally get neck and neck and look at the driver, he's usually looking straight ahead with a blank stare. Ten there are the guys that like to play games. They will go 55 in front of me, when I get over in the hammer lane they'll speed up to 65. When I get back over behind them, they'll slow down again. I've even have drivers taunt me on the CB while they play this stupid game. All you can do n this situation is pull over and let this nit-wit go on down the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.