Why I came back to May

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Scooter Jones, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I left May Trucking in July 2011 for several reasons...

My mother was very sick and dying and I needed to be closer to home in the event she passed away, which she did on September 24.

In addition, I felt like I needed a break from the OTR routine. May really does not have a regional route (yet) that allows drivers to get home more and still make enough miles to support a family.

I was also disappointed in the trainer compensation as well as the idling policy. May has made changes to both of those areas.

It was apparent to me via contacts I have developed within the corporate structure at May that there is a renewed and vigorous commitment within the leadership to make changes within it's business practices to do what they can to deal with the high turnover ratios that are a part of practically all mid\large sized trucking companies.

That impressed and encouraged me...

They offered me a nice sign on bonus, a new truck and asked if I would train for them again, so, I took them up on the offer.

I've been back for a couple of months now and thoroughly enjoying it. My wife and I have some goals we have committed to for 2012. The transition back to May along with the miles and higher percentage of pay as a trainer is going to help us reach those goals.

As I have said in previous postings, even when I left, that May is a good company. I didn't burn any bridges. That helped make my transition back to the company
    seamless.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    So, I guess it's okay with Joker now if I post on the May thread? ;-)

4. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    welcome back, tho I have no clue who is a may driver or not so its all news to me ^.^

sorry to hear about your mom

glad to see that you were able to get some 'perks' when you returned

5. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the condolences, Blue. My Mom was a wonderful lady.

Yeah perks are nice. I've been fortunate to have 5 new trucks assigned to me in the past 3 yrs between May & my previous employer.

I've had a Volvo, Pete(s), Freightliner and International. The Volvo by far was the most tricked out and spacious truck I've had yet.

The Petes are like the meat and potatoes of the industry though in my opinion.

Good luck on your training and stay between the white lines ;-)

6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    One of the things I missed about May when I left was the payroll dept. The ladies that run that dept are just outstanding and so helpful. If I have a trip I need to get paid on Thursday for and I'm beyond the cut-off date for turning it in, they always help me out.

It wasn't like that when I worked at Market.

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Another reason I came back to May is the remodeled bathrooms/showers at the Payette yard. :)

Hats off to the gentleman who worked many hrs including weekends to complete that project!

8. maldaddy

maldaddy Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Valley Springs, CA
    Hope we run into each other soon Scooter!

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm sure we will somewhere along the line.

I've been out here in North & South Carolina the past couple of days. The weather has just been a dream. Got a load all the way back to the west coast.

10. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    tell that guy that did the remodel to visit the denver yard!

that or we could make some money filming the next SAW movie in there!

11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Yeah, the Denver shower leaves much to be desired!

I'm always waiting for Freddy Krueger to step out from behind the door down there at night and slash me to pieces ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.