Why I love automatics

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by shogun, May 17, 2018.

1. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    [

It was $250 last month. Some of our guys make $5-600 a month due to their miles ran. I am usually around 11k a month, they are up to 14k.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    aussiejosh and rank Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    So the many hundreds of fleets and fleet bean counters that have experimented with autos and decided to migrate to them are all wrong?

Without knowing what makes up the bulk of this fleet you're running in. The numbers don't mean a lot. You say they're autos but that's only roughly a 1/3 of the equation. If a hundred of the truck's are older and could only get 6 mpg if they were dropped out of an airplane, then the average is grossly skewed.

Our 2018 autos do considerably better than our 2016 autos, and pull better, too.

But I'm not saying an equally spec'd stick can't do better mpg than an auto, given how it's driven but I am saying autos have earned their place in North America trucking circles.

I'm old school and pro 13/18 stick but I'm under no delusions that "autos are crap"

4. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    My company hauls 95% of it’s freight for one customer. It’s empty racks outbound, loaded racks of auto parts back. They have hauled for this company for 30+ years. The fuel stops are the same, tires are typically the same supplier, same maintenance schedule, same ecm parameters. You can just about set a watch to this customer and their schedule.

There are some Cascadia sleepers and daycabs, Some Peterbilt 587 sleepers and daycabs, and a small amount of International daycabs. The internationals seem to do a little better than the Freightliner. I have yet to drive an automatic in the fleet that I like.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    They are crap.

What better way to dumb down this job than an automatic transmission so you can hire more idiots that couldn’t cut it at C.R. England? :rolleyes:

And even better, @shogun just proved that they are not the Lord’s gift to the industry that some would have us believe they are.

BigBob410, rank, Dave_in_AZ and 3 others Thank this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I wish I could post my numbers with my manual Volvo, that truck was 8.3 or better in the summer. It’s amazing when you don’t bump the governer, maintain tire pressure, don’t idle all the time and shift at acceptable rpm ranges what you can get.

rank and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    7.2 fleet avg with 50% empty miles seems low

rank, Bean Jr., stwik and 2 others Thank this.
  8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Empty racks, usually about 11k to 18k. A few outliers are 35k when they break them down and stack them, fitting more.

rank and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    How much weight? Racks not to heavy right? My son pulls tank hauls oil, and transmission fluid etc. So he is empty 50% of the time. Just got a new pete sloped nose (model not sure). Automatic, pacar engine. Its readout shows 7.4- 9.4mpg constantly. Hit 10 once. Now i want him to check mpg on paper but he hasnt done so yet. The readout probably correct, but just to make sure. I run a 2001 379 with a c-15 6nz which some think is a miracle engine. If i get 6.2 i am a happy man.

shogun Thanks this.
  10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    The racks weigh anywhere from 11k to 18k, and some can weigh 35k broken down and stacked.. The loads vary, some as light as 4K, some trucks get to bobtail per the contract if nothing is available, some engine loads and stamping loads up to 45k, brake shoe loads in the mid 40k range.

11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I got 7.8 with a 2012 T680 with 42k on. It's a reefer. Got 8.2 coming back empty. 64 mph. Automatic.

shogun and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.