why I quit TMC (long)

Discussion in 'TMC' started by carterbeauford, May 4, 2010.

1. carterbeauford

carterbeauford Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2009
    northwestern PA
    guess I don't really look at it as "getting into trucking" ...been in this industry for almost 8 years and had my CDL for 6 of them. what I learned in those 8 years is that most companies are scummy and I would never work for them. the way companies treat drivers is sickening, but on the other hand, look at most of the people who work for them. what initially made TMC attractive was that they were unlike most jobs where one "gets into trucking" and is expected to be gone weeks at a time and drive junk equipment for very low pay. they had high standards, figuratively speaking.

current gig is slightly different than Swift or Werner, I average $1050 a week with an occasional day off during the week, longer weekends due to staying a little closer to home, and nights at home during the week. also $500 paid vacation after 6 months. company average is $1125 a week, and used to be much more before they started running strictly legal. hardly "getting into trucking" lol, what makes this company nice is that they don't have their own thread on the good company/bad company forum here.

I checked in out of curiosity to see if the company had gotten any better/worse or to see if I could help out, since that is basically all I have tried to do since I signed up here. if I wanted to argue with truckers I'd start talking to truckers at truckstops. always tried to tell it like it is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    They have a new toll program going on. They have ezpass and pre pass back in there trucks now.

MackDaddyMark Thanks this.
  4. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    well the stupid token expired and i lost my very detailed post. mods, is it some ware in cyber space?

5. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    well long post short....

TMC doesnt have much west coast freight. The west coast stuff they have, they give to the best drivers as a reward. (ME LOL). Once you pass iowa they dont have much which is why their hiring area ends there. In 1.5 years with TMC i went over the Rockies 3 times. (round trip) Freight coming east is almost non existent and i had one load that paid 300 to the truck and was 600 miles. (i made 100 bucks for 600 miles) They really just dont have much freight out there. I don't know why you think they do.

Getting pulled into indy is like going to the principles. You screwed up. I don't know what you did, but they don't pull you in unless you have a safety violation or hit something.

It is 100% your responsibility to check the truck and load. TMC is NOT responsible for any fines because you did not check. If at service all the lights were working TMC wont replace them. You should be doing a daily pretrip and should have seen they were out. It is your job to get them replaced on the road or contact breakdown for assistance. TMC needs to pay for it, but its your job to let them know and inspect your truck. you cant just drive around with lights out since "it was in service 2 weeks ago". As for the load....You should have never left the shipper and refused to haul it until it was fixed.

As for them creepily watching you...they arn't a computer is. It is designed so drivers needing loads get red flagged and they can plan your day better so you dont need to wait. Until you send a msg that you arrived at indy your still on your FM's todo list. He need to know when you check in so he cam make sure the planners get another load for you, or to make sure ur current load gets re powered if in indy to long. the computer watches you to be more efficient, not to spy.

FM make a % of your pay. If your always getting in trouble and getting sent to indy your not making them money and they wont give you the best loads. Its also about building a relationship. If you dotn make the effort you wont get the best freight. Now I assume your on /mile pay which is why you wanted the long haul freight. Int he past few years trains and ships have taken alot of the long haul freight. You need to adapt. Switching to % is a lot better since a 300 mile run can pay you 200 bucks or more. On per mile you'd make just over 100. Most of all, your attitude in the way your post sounds seems like someone i would not want to work with. Your supposed to be on a team with your FM and if your always blaming him for not getting you good loads, hes not gogin to want to help you. I got bad loads every once in a while and i let my fm know i was un happy and he owed me, but i never got angry at him or yelled at him. With a good relationship he always got me a killer load after a bad one. Right after the horrible load i mentioned above, i got a load that paid me 1500 bucks for 800 miles. (yea 2/ mile as a company driver) i mean thats not normal, but it is awesome when it happens. I dont care how you actually feel towrds your FM, but you cant piss um off. They are willing to work with you, but if you start blaming them, they are done.

As for truck washing.....Yea its a noying, but to tmc image is everything. They pay for the wash. Just get it done on your break every other week and you fine. As for your shovel....They never allow anything strapped outside. You should have put it in the trailer belly pan. Really you dont need oen though. Shippers have um in the winter. i never carried one.

milskired Thanks this.
  6. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    as for receipts and reimbursement, you need to fill out there form properly AND notify your FM.

7. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I just realized, this post is almost 3 years old. TMC almost went bankrupt do to freight shortages. The now have ipass (same as ezpass) and prepass. Rummer says TMC basically refinanced all their trucks so they didn't have to start firing everyone. They barely made it through but are doing much better now.

milskired Thanks this.
  8. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    They only pay attention to the best driver's responses. I got a personal call after my response asking what they could do to make ME happier. The drivers the Fm like the most get the best loads and make their FM the most money so the fm loves them more. If you work hard, sleep at shippers or consignees, manage your clock really well etc, you can do well and the whole company cares about you.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  9. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    You probaly declared your taxes differently. At TMC you either will get a big refund or the new company will have a big dept at the end of the year. Taxes are all the same. You cant blame tmc for more tax. You will just pay at the end of he year if you dont pay enough on your check

10. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Looks like most of this is about them not reimbursing tolls, which sucks...but that is fixed now!

11. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    It was also the fact that Harold went to retire and handed everything off to one of his sons who in turn started to run it in the ground by pretty much not reinversting money back into the company. He just took it all as a profit.

Richter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.