Why? Just... Why???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Last week before the DEF sensor failure. Had some room in the back so they found me 900 pounds of extruded aluminum going 4 miles away from my main drop. First load after the holiday was a banger! And then I took my truck to the shop. Lol. That’s truckin.

CD3C7F8C-0F20-4AFE-831F-E3210CE3770C.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NYStarcar

NYStarcar Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2020
    In a van down by the river
    You could put some guys in a yard truck and it would still take them 15 pull ups to get into a dock, others can run a 285 wheelbase and make it in one shot. If the guy can work the thing who cares?

4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Like I said I'm really not reading any of these post because of all the silliness but I wanted to finish the last post because I got pulled away.

So the guy with the peterwilt I started talking to him and I said oh I see you have a Peterbilt, how do you like it you have the best truck ever made. And he said, not so much.

I said what do you mean you have the truck that everybody wants. And he said, not so much. So I said, well your cab is comfortable right? And he said, well it's kind of small and cramped actually.

So I said oh, but you're happy with everything else right? And he said, well not exactly. And he opened his door and he showed me the inside of his truck.

So I said, how do you like that clutch pedal going into the floor? He said, I absolutely hate it and I just can't get used to it. On top of that that stupid brake pedal on the floor gets dirt trapped inside of it and the brakes don't work right. It's not like the nice trucks that have a regular pedal that hangs from the top and you never have any problems like that.

So I said well I'm sorry to hear that but you know you have a Peterbilt. And he said well, unfortunately... I had to replace the hood... And I'm not even going to tell you how much it cost me but I wanted to cry.

So I said, well I'm sorry to hear that but you've got a Peterbilt. He said yeah I got the big pete with the big cat. When I found out how much one bolt for that engine cost let alone rebuilding it I wanted to cry again. I can't stand it. This truck is just a colossal Money Pit everything about it is more expensive than anything else I've ever seen in my life. I don't know how anyone is supposed to make money with a truck like this because it's so expensive!

So I said, well at least you don't have any problem getting parts right? I mean this is supposedly the best truck ever made so I'm sure Peterbilt has incredible support for parts and any part that you need instantaneously you can get, right? And he said I have problems all the time getting parts. The Peterbilt guys can't look anything up they tell me it's obsolete I have to go online and try to find aftermarket parts all the time he said and no matter what I need it's always an ordeal. Don't you have that kind of problem with Freightliner?

I said I've never had that kind of a problem. Freightliner has dtnaconnect and I just go on there that shows me every single solitary part that's on my truck and it shows me the part numbers and I can order from Freightliner or I can order it after market if it's less money I can do whatever I want to do. I have never had to wait more than one day for any part ever. He said, Peterwilt sucks they can't even help me whatsoever they just tell me goodbye I can't help you. They are no help whatsoever they basically just tell me to F myself.

I said, wow I'm really sorry to hear that. And he said yeah, I thought I was buying the best truck ever made. This truck is a gigantic colossal hunk of crap and I can't even back in anywhere it's the most unmaneuverable truck I have ever been in in my entire life.

So I said, well the truck has got to be comfortable right? He said no, you see where the parking brakes are? I have to lean over every time I grab them and it hurts my back! Not only is this truck not practical everything about it is a pain in my rear end!

So I said wow, I didn't expect to hear all that. And then he said, you want to know the worst part of all of it? My heat and my air conditioner don't work right. I'm always sweating or freezing! And when it rains the windshield leaks in so much water I could take a shower under it. I paid a fortune to try to have it fixed but it keeps shorting out all of my electronics!

I said wow I'm sorry to hear that I have no such problems with Freightliner. My truck is very easy to work on it's very economical my parts are very easy to get and they're not expensive it's been a very good experience to have Freightliner.

He said, well I'm done. I'm tired of wrestling with this big turd I'm tired of all the money God forbid I have to rebuild that engine I can't find any parts for this truck I'm done it's over. I'm sorry that I bought such a colossal piece of junk. I should not have listened to all the hype and I should have just bought something good right from the beginning.

I said look how about if you took your truck and you stretch it out into a big gigantic colossal truck that you put chicken lights all over it? Everybody tells me that's the greatest thing in the world.

He said, oh my God I can't even back in as it is. I can't even imagine what it would be like all stretched out... all I'm going to do is make myself look obnoxious with all those lights all over it and there is nowhere that I will ever be able to back into again. Honestly, I'm going to find some sucker that will pay me top dollar for this truck and I'm going to go buy a nice Freightliner like you so I don't have any more problems!

I said, wow I wasn't really expecting that but you're right if you buy a nice Freightliner you won't have any problems.

So now my friend is in search of a nice Freightliner and maybe one of you guys out there would like to buy a Peterwilt?

He can't wait to get rid of it.

But I assured him there will be some sucker that will come along that will pay him the absolute top dollar for that truck if he just sells them the belt buckle with the truck. He said that he wants to go and buy a nice practical usable truck and put the rest of the money in the bank and enjoy backing in with no problems and getting parts with no problems and the whole thing. He said he bought into all the lunch counter hype and ended up with a gigantic overpriced piece of crap.

I really kind of felt bad for the guy. And for the record, his truck really kind of looked nice, for a Peterbilt anyway.

But at least now he's on the right track.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  5. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Loading out in MT back in 2016.

FF2FD28E-340E-4CB1-B031-6210DE842F23.jpeg

6. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Yeah @Dino soar anyone that buys an old Peterbilt without knowing what they’re getting into probably won’t be happy with it. But there is no way I’d go back to my FLD or the 95 KW I had after having my new truck. A 30 year old truck is still a 30 year old truck at the end of the day and if you go in blind without thinking about what you’re doing you’ll have a sad day. I hope to meet you on the road one day because you’ve got to be the happiest most upbeat guy around, what with being able to back your short old truck in with ease at every dock and no pesky belt buckle to undo when you have to pee.

7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Is an FLD really that much roomier than a 379?

a clutch through the floor is the only way to go.....brake pedal too. In 24 years I have never had dirt build up cause me trouble.

bring that big cam out......lemme hurt them feelings. Mine is true mechanical it’s a fair match. But wait you won’t even post a pic....so getting you to actually show is impossible. If your gonna brag show it off. Pics or it didn’t happen or basically doesn’t exist lmfao. The more you down them the more I can tell you want one so bad you gots a knot in your side to get one.

For the record I’m not an FLD hater I kinda like them. Especially the ones that don’t have the integrated cab. However if your gonna knock others you gotta be prepared to show yours.

like another poster said I have countless pics of my ride in various places. I have pics of every truck I ever owed simple download from the computer now they transfer automatically with a new phone. Proof it’s better is really all we want to see......if you ain’t afraid that is

Speed_Drums, BigBob410, kwswan and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    The FLD cab is wider but I can’t remember by how much. But to me it didn’t feel any more or less roomy because of the way the dash was, you couldn’t really kick your foot off to the right of the pedal when you had the cruise set.

9. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Here’s the inside of the 03 that I had.

9540B4B2-8B16-48EA-A7D1-AB52900E7F73.jpeg 28A52E3F-489F-4DFF-A01D-3523E7F7BA09.jpeg

Flint1, Speed_Drums, Ruthless and 13 others Thank this.
  10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Great story x1...

11. Geronimo17

Geronimo17 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Very nicely done W900. Hope you enjoy the new ride you have on order.

Tug Toy, BigBob410 and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.