Why? Just... Why???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Dang brother, looks like you need a side load on that trailer.

BigBob410 and Long FLD Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NYStarcar

NYStarcar Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2020
    In a van down by the river
    OP asked a question and didn't like the answers he got, could just let things go but we're going to keep beating a dead horse.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    That still wouldn’t have worked there. Funny thing is I ran California with that big trailer for 4 years and there was only one place I ever went in all that time that had to be side load only. So we loaded my friend and he backed up to me so I could load, then we went back and loaded him again.

5. shooter19802003

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Must be a Mac thing. My front axle is a lift as well. Looks like yours doesn't go up very high. Neither does mine. Maybe 3" or so. Frigging hate it. When I have it up I tend to skid my front tires on everything. Actually thinking of putting tall rubber on the back and low pro on the front just to get a little more height out of it. Beyond that, I love my Mac trailer!

Slowpoke KW and BigBob410 Thank this.
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I'm drunk!

Slowpoke KW, BigBob410 and T.Rucker Thank this.
  7. shooter19802003

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Right on. I have loaded at some junky places before. I have a side load on mine and used it fairly often. My spread axle was a 4 deck. I had to ground load sheep one time. Holy how what a pita! Sheep where diving off this little ramp this guy made. It was short too. So when I was loading the top deck from the outside, that ramp was at like a 2/1 angle. Told that guy never again.

BigBob410 and Long FLD Thank this.
  8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Like I said for me this post isn't about reading the comments I'm just commenting myself.

But I assume the responses are in defense of the petro bilt which you don't need to defend. If you like it that's all that matters. This particular gentleman that I met I really felt bad for him though.

But I was down in Maryland last week and I met this guy with the big Pete with the big Cat.

I said, how do you like the Peterbilt? He said, I love it. So I said, is it difficult to back that truck in? He said well it is difficult but you have to get used to it. These trucks are not made to be maneuverable but you have to learn what to do and watch where you go to be able to back in. I can do it but often I find places that are very very tight and it can be difficult sometimes. But I love this truck.

So I said hey that's great that you love your truck. So I said how about the Caterpillar engine? He said, oh man I love it. So I said what about the expense to rebuild it? He said well it's just part of the Big Pete with the big cat. It cost an insane amount of money to rebuild that engine. But it's what I like. And then he said if you're going to buy the Big Pete with the big cat you have to be ready to spend the money that's all there is to it.

So I said hey man I'm glad you're happy. And he said I absolutely love it. I'll buy anything that says Peterbilt on it. I have Peterbilt hats Peterbilt mugs anything that says Peterbilt I will buy.

I said hey man glad you're happy. Take care drive safely.

So sure there are other people out there that are happy to incur the expense and wrestle with their truck every day.

It's not for me but he sure seemed happy.

John E. and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  9. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I never did the sheep thing. Back when I was running west we had the fats out of Montana to Fresno and then load calves coming east. Back in 2012 to 2014 it was a pretty decent triangle but then other people started knocking the rates down to get the work. I’d bring calves to CO or western KS and then head up to MT and go back to Fresno. Couple of those every week was a pretty decent paycheck back then.

When I finally got caught with the big trailer I did pull a 4 deck Merritt for a while, but I pulled the boards out for the top deck “to save weight” but really I didn’t want to haul sheep. Haha.

10. T.Rucker

T.Rucker Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Here and there…
    Like I said, I’m not reading these comments and I’ve stopped following the thread but I do want to keep coming back and telling my stories and trying to prove why I’m right…..:rolleyes:

Guess I’ve had my fill of troll food this morning. I hear anymore about how he isn’t reading the comments blah blah, I’m gonna have to start drinking way to early ;):confused:

His intense dislike for CAT makes me think he drives a Paccar motor or something.

11. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Hey I resemble that remark. Lol. Well I don’t dislike like Cats, it’s just that I have a Paccar. Hahahaha.

alds, wore out, Czar_Zero and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.